5 replies to this topic

#1 Nagash

Nagash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:04 AM

Hi together,

my LX200 12" GPS is getting old and needs some new lubricant on the main mirrorplate.

Unfortunately there'S no German service representativ anymore.

In the last years Bresser did this support but they told me that they can't help me anymore.

So here's my question:

Is it possible for myself to do the removal of the old lubricant and which new lubricant I've to use?

Does anybody have experience with that and can give me some information or a HowTo?

Kind regards,

Nagash

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Use a high quality all temp lube when re lubricating.You need to choose one that soes Not break down in the heat and one that does NOT stiffen up in the cold.When I re Lubed my whole scope I chose a high temp lube.It performs well in heat and cold.Try googling  re greasing a LX200.There are some good articles  from respected people who can guide you through it.

• Nagash likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Nagash

Nagash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

Thank you for your tipps Mark!

What about the colimation? I heard it's quiete difficult to adjust mirror plate and corrector plate together...

Normaly I would just mark the postiion when removing the rear tubus cap and the mirror.

Any special tools needed for colimation or just on a star?

Cheers,

Nagash

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

I just used an eyepiece and a good star to start with.Then when im very picky ill throw the ccd imager on it and coliminate it like that.This way I know everything is exact.The problem ive always ran into is you do need a 2nd person to do it with.1 to look through the EP and 1 to adjust .It can be done with one person it just takes a lot longer and a lot more mileage running back and forth.Key to it all is Patience!

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

PS before you tear it all down here is a suggestion that you may not have considered.The grease on the Mirror plate may still be good but just relocated over time.One of the best things to try first is run your focuser in all the way then back out all the way several times to re distribute the grease.In 99% of the times it cures any problems.I try to do this monthly with my 10 inch SCT..It never hurts to try it and may save you several hours of time....

This will work for the old style LX200 with out mirror lock and the new style with mirror lock.Actually it will work on any stype sct no matter who makes it.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#6 Marcus Runge

Marcus Runge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUelzen, Germany

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

I am in Germany, I already took the main mirror out, cleaned, reassembled and realigned it. I would suggest teflon grease for the shaft. When the secondary is removed (mark the Position), there are two gaps left and right where you Can carefully get the mirror assembly through.

Be careful with the big mirror-lock gear, if you turn it accidently to many times and don't recognize it, you might be surprised that the mirror won't lock properly. Solution: When the mirror lock is not locking but has reached the end Position (flat area on the gear teeth), simply remove the knob and continue turning with your fingers until the flat area has passed. Then continue with the knob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users