firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

http://www.meade.com...lpig-color.html

can this item be used as a display for astronomy outreach? Meaning if i hook it up to a laptop can it produce a viewable real time image for people to see? 

Like a video monitor rather than everyone looking in my eyepiece, bumping the scope, etc. Kids and parents have grabby hands and I was looking for a hands off approach to astronomy viewing at an outreach event.

20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

I don't have a clue, but it is a very interesting question.  I will be watching for an answer from anyone that knows.

I will check and see if there is any downloadable instructions on the regular Meade site.  If I find any, I will post.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Reading the description on that page, it does say it can retrieve 28 images per second.  If it cannot do actual real time, I bet it is pretty close.  It also mentions it can use Windows XP through Windows 10, plus a couple versions of Apple software.  With your LS 8 being a really smart scope, I am wondering what the possibilities are with it and this imager.

Bill Steen

#4 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hi firemouth,
when they buy these LPIG, I would be very interested in how this is connected to the LS8.
Waiting eagerly awaiting more information.
greetings from Germany
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#5 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

Off to a bad start with this new item. Product CD in the box only good or Windows. Need Mac software. Let's start chasing this one with Meade

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I asked someone I know what he understood about this imager.  Here is the answer I received

With our software my initial read is it has an effective real time image and 
once you capture it stops and then you can manipulate or save the resulting 
image you captured. 

There is also a video capture, and the ability to use third party software to 
control the device if so desired. 

#7 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:54 AM

I'm using a MAC. What 3rd party software would you suggest?

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:24 AM

Personally, I have no idea.  I also believe that Meade will not suggest a particular non-Meade software over another one.

I did  pass on the issue about the CD you encountered......just Windows versions of the software.

Bill Steen

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Here is the reply I received on the issue of Mac compatibility:

"There was an error on the site, the software we provide is Windows only although 
the unit is ASCOM compliant and compatible with any software that is, including 
MAC."

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

#10 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Thank you MistrBadgr

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

You are welcome!

#12 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

I love Meade products but I think the frame rate per second is gonna kill this camera from the get go..You need a high frame rate for good detail, be it live viewing or for stacked photos ..Even my camera at 60 FPS isn't enough..I get a great live view from it though but really needs higher frame rate for superb detail on planets..

#13 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2366 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Ive seen jason ware take some nice images with this so far.Frame rate IMO dosnt mean squat.I still use a dsi pro 3 for planets and have no issues at all.all a high frame rate does is gives you a billion and 1 frames to choose from.I always liked the Envisage program with the LPI and DSI imagers as you can set the quality of frames and only keep the good ones and dont have them huge 4 gig video files.Also I never liked regisax.I do not have one of these imagers so I dont know a lot about them.Over the past years since many of my contacts have left meade I have been left out of the loop on testing things so a lot of the new products I have no clue on any more...

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#14 G3oak

G3oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

Is it a fair assumption that beyond planetary images this color imager is not recommended?

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

Not having used one, I am reluctant to say in an absolute sense.  It can most likely pick up other bright things, like brighter double stars, and maybe the Great Orion Nebula.  However, for deep sky imaging, like a lot of the people on here do, it is not going to be the way to go for that.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#16 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Bill,
I believe to use this device for realtime, the frame rate would have to be at least 45 to 48 frames per second. For astrophotagraphy there are allot of other variables to consider other than just pure frame rate.

#17 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Thanks, Rick!

#18 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:35 AM

First Time Moon-WDS 10-9-2016.png I received an LPI-G Color in the mail on Saturday.  Sunday evening, I hooked it up to my Infinity 80, which I am keeping set up for immediate use.  The attached image is full frame in the Infinity 80 and is a single shot.  The included ImageCapture software is simple to use and loaded successfully. 

There will be no problem using this imager for outreach work.  It simply has the image on the screen and it updates continuously.  I could definitely see the Moon moving in the image.  Unless you intend on staying busy adjusting the scope position, I think a scope that can track would be necessary for the outreach work.

In the attached image, I had to put the intensity adjustment in manual and back it an the speed way back to keep the lighted part of the Moon from being whited out.  There should be plenty of sensitivity for planets.  In fact, there are settings for all of them that you can select in the software, including Pluto.  I am going to try this out with some open clusters and see what happens.

In order to get a full view of the Moon in a single frame, it will require an optical tube like the Infinity 80, with its 400 mm focal length.

Bill Steen

• SBacon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users