Photo

How do I connect my telescope to my computer to update the firmware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chase172

chase172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

I see that there's an ethernet cable port on it, so do I just plug it into my computers ethernet port and then AutoStar Suite will recognize it?

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

which telescope.Model ????

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 chase172

chase172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

which telescope.Model ????

Sorry for the late response

Meade StarNavigator 90mm Altazimuth Refractor with AutoStar (White Tube)

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

THat is NOT an ethernet port it is a aux port for future add ons and also adding your scope to your pc to update software.

#505 AstroFinder™ Software and Cable Connector Kit: Displays more than 15,000 celestial
wonders – galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, stars, and planets – on your PC, enabling even the
beginner to locate and identify objects to observe with the telescope or to print out star charts
for use in observing sessions. Operates with any Windows™-based personal computer. The
Cable Connector Kit permits connection of any StarNavigator telescope model, Audiostar, and
PC, for downloading of new software to Audiostar or for updating of Earth satellite or other
celestial object positions. This kit is included with each AstroFinder Software package.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

If you have the AudioStar controller, you will see a small plug that looks like the plug on an old telephone handset near where the cord going to the mount plugs in.  They sell a special cord that has that particular jack on one end and a nine pin RS-232 jack on the other end.  This hooks to your computer.  This is the #505 cable.

Meade does have a different connector that can hook directly to the mount.  You have to be very careful what you plug into that second port on the mount itself.  Plug in the wrong thing and you burn up the board inside and get to buy a whole new mount....no parts like that available and the mount is not built for that kind of repair.  If you have a 494 handset, which does not have a second plug spot on the handset, you need to hook directly to the mount, which takes the #506 cable.  Do not plug the #505 cable into the mount itself.  This is when you trash the board in the mount.  I believe the #506 is the one Mark is talking about.  It comes with a CD.

If you do not have an RS-232 port on your computer, Meade has an adapter cable for that.  If you get the #506 cable system, the driver for the conversion may be on the CD, but I am not sure.  If it is not, the driver can be downloaded from the regular Meade website (www.meade.com) in the support section, under the software and downloads tab.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users