#1 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

Did you noticed that the "GPS acquisition" is only working when there are battery cells in the telescope?

I use a powertank without battery cells and I noticed that GPS never acquired.

Is it the same for you?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

David,

When I had my LS 8, I used one of the Meade power supplies that plugs into a wall socket or extension cord.  I did not have batteries in the mount more than a few times.  I did not have any trouble with GPS.  I do know that it is prudent to have batteries in the mount, even if using another power source when doing outreach work with a lot of people unacquainted with telescopes.  Without the batteries, I found that someone would invariably kick the power line and unplug the scope.  I would have to restart the whole thing.

The scope is smart enough to know when it has an external power supply and will use that instead of the batteries.  I don't have any idea why your scope does not pick up GPS without batteries in place, but if you do batteries and a power tank, the batteries should last a long time.

A silly speculation:  Possibly there is a enough difference in the voltage between the power tank and the batteries or the way it travels through the circuitry that is enough to affect the GPS unit performance.  This is a pretty far fetched idea, but it is the only thing I can think of.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users