#1 firemouth

firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

with the recent upcoming solar eclipse is there a solar lens available for the LS8? Im looking for a glass filter specifically designed to fit the LS8.

20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

#2 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

I'd be surprised if there is a custom made one, and the module to the side of the OTA might make it difficult to fit a standard 8" filter. 

For the recent transit, I made a filter using an A4 sheet of Baader film and some card to act as a frame. 

I then stuck it very securely to the OTA using duct tape. I got beautiful views of the full disc at 77x magnification using my 2" 25mm wide angle eyepiece. 

13094315_1073409319391411_46092657338595

Image taken with my phone camera through the eyepiece

#3 Stratocaster

Stratocaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

I bought a glass solar filter from Seymoursolar.com to fit my 12" LX200.  They're well-made, not terribly expensive, and they have all sizes to fit various telescopes.  You might want to take a look, I'm satisfied with mine.  Assuming you still want to observe the sun post-transit!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have no relationship of any kind with Seymour Solar other than being a happy customer.

-stan in Brooklyn

#4 Bill Harper

Bill Harper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

How would you go about tracking the sun when auto alignment won't work?

Bill - Minnesota

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

You will have to track the sun manually.  Otherwise, you might be able to get the scope to align during the early morning before the sun comes up and then move the scope to the sun with the arrow keys.  I think it will stay on the sun that way, but I have not actually done that.

You will definitely need a good solar filter on the scope or the sun will destroy it.

Meade has traditionally not recommended using any scope for solar viewing that has not been specifically built for that service.  Using an LS for solar viewing is not recommended by Meade, even with a filter.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

There are techniques for adding a custom 'asteroid' that has the effect of tracking the Sun.

How you get your initial alignment is another matter, but once you have that, if this works as expected, it will allow you to track the Sun. 

Method as described on Mike Weasner's site - I've not tried it myself on my LS, but give it a go ...

http://www.weasner.c...tar/as_sun.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users