4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

May be a silly question, but how do I know if the GPS is working? It seems like when I used to turn the scope on, after the Welcome screen it would take a GPS fix and the display indicated that. I never see that screen anymore. I did go into the menu and the GPS is "On".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

If you havnt moved the scope far or if you turn it on often ithe GPS read is so fast you may not notice it.If I turn mine on daily the gps fix takes aboyt 3 to 4 seconds.I believe if it dosnt get a fix it will keep searching then eventually prompt you to do a 1 or 2 star alignment

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

Mark,

I always appreciate your knowledge, and willingness to share.

I generally set up within about 25 miles. I live in Panama City, Florida and our club's dark sky site is about 25 miles north of the city and those are the two main sites I use. It did tell me that I was in a different location when I went to our dark sky site this weekend, so perhaps it is working. Is there a way I can get it to tell me it's location? Also doesn't the GPS get a time fix? I have to input date and time pretty much every time I use the scope so was just wondering. 

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Hess

Project Manager

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

I cant remember off hand but there is a place in the menu to give you GPS location.As for time.The GPS should get you the time but if the disk 

battery is dead in the scope It wont keep the time or hold time should I say.Its been ages since i had to set anyhting as im in an obs and when i place the scope in the park position I dont even have to do an alignment as it remembers everything.If I get a chance to re read the manual i thin there was a setting or option for get time from gps on/off.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Thanks again Mark! I'll check out the manual. I put a new battery in the scope when I got it a couple of years ago. I'll check that also.

Thanks,
Bob
  • Mark Sibole likes this

Bob Hess

Project Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users