6 replies to this topic

#1 Kermitto

Kermitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hi Community

I purchase a new # 497 handset when the old who was 10 years broke. I like to follow ISS Space station and they require that you regularly download the latest file to the handset. and it went fine too but mine Guided Tours is now completely gone and serve no longer, the menu's handset but when I choose Nights best, so nothing happens, the stands and seeks for a long time and then freeze the handset and must be restarted ..

When I put the handset to the PC and retrieve data from hand-set to see what's under Tours, then i get strange looking symbols as tours name, and I can´t remove it.

I've tried twice to refresh the entire handset with the latest version of the software so now its version "5CE2" but it does not remove those strange Tour description and I still can not download the latest Tour to the handset.

Does anyone know how I get the handset to be reset?

Kind Regards

Kenneth Andersen

Attached Thumbnails

• 497-5CE2.jpg

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Kermitto,

In all honesty, I would either call customer support at the Meade number, 800-626-3233, if you live in the United States where that free number is available, or email them at customersupport@meade.com.  I believe, when you update the handset, it updates the reset feature as well.  Updating the handset directly over the ASU is not recommended.  There is too great of a risk that the program will get garbaged, which may be what has happened to you.  When that happens, the handset will most likely have to be sent in to Meade in order to fix it.

Unless there is some really burning reason to update the program in a handset, don't do it.  Any updates will be so minor that they are not worth the risk to your handset and will not improve its performance or anything like that.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Kermitto

Kermitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:03 AM

Hello Bill

Thousand thanks for your quick reply, I will do as you say and contact my local dealer here in Denmark.

It's a shame that it is not possible to update the handset so you can follow the International Space Station and take pictures of it, for it requires that you at least once every month update with the latest data, otherwise the tracker will not work properly.

Meade should not really make available software that can destroy our handsets. It’s a shame.

Do you know whether the new wireless connector that will be called Stella whether it can track the ISS? For if I use Stellarium it cannot track the ISS along its path on the sky ..?

Kind Regards

Kenneth from wonderfull Copenhagen :D

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hi Kenneth,

It is not the software itself that is the problem, but rather the transfer through the internet.  The handsets themselves are a bit limited in memory.  They have enough to make the update, but have very little more.  Newer versions of the handset, like the Star Navigator version, like all computers, have more memory.  If the software is downloaded, through the ASU program, to your computer and saved/checked out by the ASU software, then loaded from the ASU to the handset, it does a lot better with less trouble.

The Stella system is too new, and I do not think there are any specifics like that out there.  My best guess is that it is more of a WIFI that you hook your telescope up to, but I could be very wrong and it may have all sorts of wonderful things in it.

Just FYI, my grandparents came from Denmark.  My grandfather grew up in the Randers area.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Bill is correct about STELLA , however it will change the available object database to over 2.5 million objects weather that will include the ISS is yet to be seen.
RIckScofield

#6 Kermitto

Kermitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

I have tried to download the software over a wired internet connection and saved it on the pc before send it to the Handset, but that damaged my Guided tours, very strange.

I have also after my tours was damaged in the handset tried to Update the entire handset but it seems that I’m not able to make a total reset of the handset, I hope my dealer in Denmark are able to do that.

Thanks for your help. I will never again try to update the handset via ASU

And Bill,, there you see many nice people are coming from Denmark :D

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90