Photo

Are you doing real science with your scope?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LostInSpace

LostInSpace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hi Gang,

I am just joining the ranks of stargazers. My first scope, a starter, just arrived today and I haven't even had it out of the box yet. As a starter scope (Polaris 70 EQ), I realize that it has its limitations but I wanted test the astronomical waters first.

But I am curious about amateurs who do real scientific research with their scopes. I saw a video about a man in Scranton, Ks logging asteroids. If you are doing research I would love to hear what your are doing! It may inspire me to go further into astronomy.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

I don't know if it is "real science" or not, but I have been splitting some double stars at times with my DS-2102 OTA with different sizes of holes in masks in front of the objective to determine what size scopes can split those double stars.  The results have been going to Sissy Haas, who is compiling the information from many observers to get some empirical information on what size scope can do what with double stars.

I have not been able to do as much of this as I want due to eye complications after cataract surgery, but I have at least done a little.

I know there are others that have posted here in the past that have done work with variable stars.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2359 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

I do some research by compairing my images to other images looking for super nova and other anamalies

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users