4 replies to this topic

#1 norach3

norach3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hello, all!

I'm hoping someone can lend some insight to an issue I'm experiencing.

I'm about to take delivery of a new 10 inch LX 90 ACF and am seriously considering trying my hand at some photography. At some point I think I would be taking some long-exposure shots, but after doing some research, I find an equatorial wedge is almost a necessity. what I seem to be running into, is, that I cannot find a 10" wedge other than Meade's X-Wedge priced at anywhere from $650 to $700. Is there an alternative available? Hopefully, not quite as expensive.

Thank you.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

There might be some of the older ones on eBay, but I think the LX 90 takes a different wedge than the LX 200, so you might want to watch out.  Another option is a field de-rotator.  You might read up on those.  I don't do imaging myself yet, even though I plan to in the future and have some equipment.  Therefore, I do not have any first hand knowledge.

Anyone else?

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 norach3

norach3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:37 AM

Thanks, Bill.

Everything I've seen so far is that the wedges are different between the 90 and 200. I have seen an "Ultra Wedge" that appears to be compatible with the 10" LX90, but possibly out of production as I find very few outlets with these in stock.

I will look into the field de-rotator.

Nick

#4 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi Nick,

After seeing the ridiculously high prices for wedges I decided to build my own. There are several amateurs on the web that display their versions that you can see by Googling "homebuilt wedge". I made mine from 2"x10" lumber and mounted it onto a 4"x4" post in the back yard. So far I am very pleased with it's performance with my 8" LX90 and I used the money I saved on other accessories. ;)

Steve

#5 norach3

norach3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:59 PM

Hi Steve,

I also have seen several articles regarding the "home-built" wedges. It certainly would be a cost effective alternative. I agree the prices of some of the production wedges are 'out of this world'. I will be looking into building my own if I can't find a deal on a production model.

Thanks,

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users