• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nucdoc

nucdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have owned an LX 850 for about a year, I have never been able to control  the mount with ASCOM drivers, I have updated everything that can be updated, and even changed the board in my mount, ASCOM control has NEVER worked.

I could run the ASCOM configuration program, confirm that the Meade USB connection was on COM3, and then when I tried to connect to the mount I would get an error message that my mount could not be found on COM1 ???? , I had just confirmed, and ASCOM agreed I was on COM3, but the program would always look for my mount on COM1.

I get the same error with the Meade PEC utility, can't find my mount on COM1

I can get sky-x to connect to my mount, and it is able to point my mount, quite accurately ????

Over the last month I have been having problems with the star lock ARC utility that adjusts tracking for astrophotgrapy, this has always worked well in the past, but it has been talking longer and longer, and finally last nite refused to complete, despite 4 hours of trying on 5 different targets, multiple resets of the headset and uploading of new star lock firmware.

No ARC, not astrophotography ... #@$@#@.... This was the first clear nite in a month, and I just purchased a new KAF 8300 CCD camera, I have a call into Meade.

Now to the real point of this post, with time to kill I went back to try and connect using ASCOM (this literally to 20th time for me to try this).... Presto, connection, NO ERRORS!!!

I thought I was sleep deprived, and was imaging it, I shut down and restarted, and it all connect just fine.

I attached my Orion 80mm guidescope to the LX-850, and using loadstar and PhD I could attache and guide the mount, 5 minute subs were perfect (all the time I had)

I ran fire capture and used its ASCOM based guiding, again it worked

The Mead PEC utility also worked...

I am not sure what changed, the only think I can think of is that I have had 2 WIn8 automatic updates in the last month, it must be that one of these fixed the communication problem

IF you like me cannot get your LX-850 to work with ASCOM I recommend you update your windows and hope you get the same result as me

Mark

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:51 AM

Hi Mark,

If it had been me, it would not have been the software update.  It would simply be because I had called in and everything would start to work like it was supposed to.  (some grimlin just waiting to make me feel stupid!)

Glad to hear it is working for you!!!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 nucdoc

nucdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

As mentioned in my post I have not been able to get my LX850 to talk to ASCOM for nearly an entire year ( I purchased it 13 months ago), then one day it started working, this seemed to be after an automatic windows update.  It appears that Prolific published a new driver in mid 2015, not sure how long it took for this to get into an automatic update, but at some point in 2016 my computer started talking to my LX 850.  It appears that Meade still has the 2010 driver on their website.  

Could someone from Meade please update this??

From my reading there are a lot of frustrated users out here, for me the problem became acute when my starlock stopped working (still waiting for a replacement), if not for this fortuitous update I would be dead in the water for 3 months now!

http://www.prolific...._id=225&pcid=41

IMG_3058.jpg

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hi Mark,

I copied and pasted your link to an email that I sent to someone I know.

Thanks for posting the link here.  If the new driver cannot end up on the Meade company site for some reason, at least it is here.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users