2 replies to this topic

#1 jeanval1862

jeanval1862

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hello ,

I have been going to my local science museum in Rochester NY and seeing Moon, Saturn and Jupiter.

My wife gifted me Mead Infinity 80mm for my birthday. 

The telescope comes with 

Three Included Eyepieces
  • 1.25" barrel diameter
  • Fold down rubber eyecups
  • Accepts standard filters and accessories
  • Anti-reflection fully multicoated optics
  • 26mm eyepiece yields 15x magnification
  • 9mm eyepiece yields 44x magnification
  • 6.3mm eyepiece yields 63.5x magnification
Included Accessories
  • 1.25" Rack-and-Pinion focuser
  • 2x Barlow lens doubles the magnification of each eyepiece
  • 90° erect-image prism corrects image horizontally and vertically
  • Red dot finder with variable intensity

Does anyone in the group here have any suggestion/advices/tips/tricks to stargaze with the available eyepieces?

What has your experience been like with Mead Infinity 80mm?

Thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!  Congratulations on your new scope!

I don't have the Infinity 80, but I do have the 102, so a lot of the things that come with the 80 are like what I have.  The Infinity 80 should be a wonderful wide field scope that should also serve you well for lunar and other observations.  With the higher magnifications, you should do reasonably well with double stars and planetary viewing.  The short focal length, compared to the diameter of the lens, keeps it from doing as well on the high contrast, high magnification views as a long focal length scope, but the longer focal lengths simply cannot take in as much field as your scope can.

Going along with your scope, get yourself a little tool bag to put all of your small things in.  Get a pocket sky atlas (I use the one from Sky and Telescope, but there are others).  You need a little red flashlight.  What I use is a little MagLight that uses two AA cells, then put a bunch of pieces of red cellophane circles inside the lens of the flashlight.  I think I have ten or so layers.  Any flashlight can work for this.  You can also buy a little red flashlight on line from a number of stores that come already set up.  Normally, I put a piece of string through the hole in the end of my flashlight and make a loop to go around my neck.  I normally use cotton kite string for that.  If I catch it on something, the string breaks rather than strangling me. I also take a notebook and black pen or pencil to write down what I see, when, where, sky conditions, etc.

A number of years ago, I did a series of posts in the beginners section called "Sky Hunting with Small Refractors."  In those posts, I talked about what I went out and tried to find with a 70mm refractor with a 700 mm focal length.  If you can find those posts, it can give you a number of objects to look for.

Also, look up the Astronomy League.  They have all kinds of projects of things you can look for in the night sky.  If you join an astronomy club, many of them are associates of the Astronomy League and part of your dues goes for AL membership.  Otherwise, you can sign up with them independently for maybe $5 per year.  What that gets you is that if you work through one of their projects, like the Double Star List that I did with my 70 mm refractor, you can send in your notes, etc for verification.  If they get verified, then they send you a certificate and a pin.  It is not a big thing, but it was fun for me to receive the little pin and certificate.  I smile when I think about it. 

Having goals of some sort to stretch yourself can make things more fun, if you look at it like going fishing.  With fishing, it is fun to just get outside around the water.  Sometimes you catch fish and sometimes you don't.  The idea is to relax and have fun.  It is the same with a project of some kind.  Some nights you can find some of the objects and sometimes not.  It is fun to get out with an open sky and look at whatever the sky has to offer.  Sometimes there is a lot to see and sometimes not.

Having a chair or stool to sit on that is compatible with your setup is good.  It takes a lot of strain off of your body and lets you relax and last longer.  If there are a lot of lights around your area, having a dark cloth that you can throw over your head can help.  It works for some people and drives others crazy.  A lot of times, I can use the brim of a baseball cap to shield a particular light.

Well, that is probably enough for now.  Let us know if there are any specific things you run into.  Also, it is fun to read what other people are doing with their astronomy, so do not be bashful about posting what you have done and seen!  I promise what you write will be read.  I will be retiring soon from my regular job and hope to be able to start posting things like that myself.  Right now, I am in a rush at work getting a lot of goals accomplished before I retire.

Have fun with your new scope!  I have been curious about that particular one and would be interested in hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Rather than buying a red flashlight, I would suggest you purchase a headlight. The headlight I'm referring to fits on your forehead with an adjustable band that wraps around you're head. This make using it hands free and you don't have to try and hold it while your using your hands as you,would a flashlight. It doesn't get in the way when your looking through the eyepiece either. Everready makes one so does PETZL. Most hardware stores that sell flashlight carry them.

RickScofield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users