6 replies to this topic

#1 Chrischez

Chrischez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

I picked up a used ds 2000 series telescope (2114 I think). The telescope itself was in a state of disrepair, missing screws, broken focuser and severally out of collimation. The previous owner (he knew nothing about telescopes) said the controller worked. He said he was able to move the scope around with the directional arrow keys but never did anything beyond that. Last night I put batteries in the mount for the first time since getting the scope. When I turned the power on, the red power light came on but not the controller. I turned the mount off and replaced the "watch" battery located in the back of 8AA battery compartment. When I turned the mount back on, the controller screen and buttons flickered red but then stopped. This happened several times, no numbers or words appear on the screen when it flashes red. Sometimes the screen will also come on but it's black and white and still no numbers or words. Does this sound like the controller is fried or do you think there's a loose connection/wire somewhere?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

You might try plugging and unplugging the handset into the mount many times and see if that cleans the contacts.  It the scope has sat a long time, it is possible the contacts have gotten dirty and it is not getting good power.  Since it seems to be trying to come on, and then stops, I am hoping dirty contacts in the cable plug are the cause.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Chrischez

Chrischez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Bill! I will try that and let you know if it works.

#4 Chrischez

Chrischez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

Tried what you said for a while tonight but I got the same results (sometimes no screen, sometimes black & white screen and sometimes flashing red screen/controller). I even tried gently wiggling the hbx cord around in its socket but that didn't seem to have any effect at all. I shined a light into thr hbx socket and as far as i can tell, everything looks alright. I'm still thinking it's the controller itself. Any ideas?

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:34 AM

At t his point, I think you are most likely right.  About the only way to find out is to get another controller and plug it in to see.  Not being an electronics person, I really cannot tell you anything else.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Bill Steen

#6 Chrischez

Chrischez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

Is it possible i could upgrade to the 497 controller? If I can, is there a specific model 497 I would need? I'm not to familiar with Meade products.

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Actually, any of them, up through the modern Star Navigator handset should work.  There are two different versions of the 497, but I am not sure how to tell the difference other than by the version of software.  The older version of the 497 uses software with a designation something like 4.2g.  The latter version has a version number that is totally different in terms of numbers and letters.  The Star Navigator is different still, but will work on your mount.  Avoid anything that says AutoStar II or AutoStar III.  Those are completely different systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users