4 replies to this topic

#1 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

I have been checking out my new 12" LX600 and, with one exception, everything is working fine so far, including using the Wireless AutoStar II handcontroller.  The exception is when I try to connect to the telescope via Wi-Fi to the RS-232 port.  I am using a GC Wi-Fi Adapter with a Meade #507 serial cable.  I used both SkySafari 5 Pro and ScopeBoss on my iPhone 6s Plus to control my 8" LX200-ACF via Wi-Fi and the connection always worked with both apps.  When I swapped out the LX200-ACF for the LX600 I kept the same Wi-Fi adapter, connectors, and cables for use with the LX600.  Using these same items with the LX600, both SkySafari 5 Pro (configured for a LX600) and ScopeBoss say they can connect to the LX600 telescope but that no response is received from the telescope.  

Is there some difference in the LX200-ACF and LX600 RS-232 serial ports?  Is there some difference in the AutoStar software in the LX600 that affects Wi-Fi control?

I no longer have the LX200-ACF so can't recheck that connection.  Also, I do not have a computer that can speak RS-232 so can't check the LX600 RS-232 port that way.

Any ideas?

#2 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

I did some troubleshooting of this Wi-Fi connection problem today.  I switched to the wired AutoStar handcontroller instead of having the Meade Wireless AutoStar II handcontroller connected. Both ScopeBoss and SkySafari 5 Pro connected via the Wi-Fi connection to the LX600 RS-232 serial port.  I don't know why the LX600 can not have both the wireless AutoStar and Wi-Fi when the LX200-ACF could use both at the same time.  Maybe less circuit isolation on the LX600?  Anyway, problem solved.

#3 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

Another update to the problem I initially reported.  Now that the LX600 is mounted on a pier I had to relocate the Wi-Fi adapter in the observatory.  I can now use Wi-Fi at the same time as the Wireless AutoStar II.  Still don't understand why I had the problem in the first place.  But all's well now.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2655 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hi Mike,

Just saw your post.  I have no idea about the issue, but glad you have it working now.

I will see if I can pass this information on.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2358 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Mike, Thanks for sharing the info.

WiFi acts funny when it dosnt like the location of it.I deal with this issue non stop on me network extender for my cell phone.I can have it set in one place and all is golden.If I move the extender over 2 feet I can not get a thing.WiFi works great when it works.Sometimes I wigh they would go to bluetooth instead of WiFi on some things.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users