• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MichaelOToole

MichaelOToole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

On opening the 497 to clean buttons the conductive ink on the LCD ribbon cable turned to dust (basically it completely disintegrated)...

This was common place with older displays/ribbon cables but of course I had forgotten else I would have been more careful or left well enough alone...

It looks like I can't obtain a replacement part, I can't even obtain a replacement part number...

My only option is to ask the community and see if any one can help identify the display or provide pin-outs so that I might find an equivalent/replacement LCD... I'm an old engineer, if I can get the pin-out information or part number for the old display, I can fix it...

The only replacement I can find is costing over €100 (second-hand) and that's more than I can afford atm...

Mike

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hi Mike,

I don't have an answer to your problems, but you do have my sympathies.  I will be watching for replies from others.  I do have a couple of suggestions.  The first is to try eBay for another second hand controller.  At the price you stated, you think you could buy another unit.  The other idea is to check Mike Weasner's "Might ETX" Site.  Mike cannot add to it any more, due to internet access troubles, but I think it is out there as a static reference site.  I suspect that there were ETX scopes that were sold with the 497 controller.  There may be information there.

Hope that helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users