• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JoJa15

JoJa15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

I am new to this forum but I wanted to share my experiences with a DS series motored mount.

First I want to say thank you to MistrBadgr for his write up on how to take apart the mount. I would have had a hard time without this knowledge.

So my problem is that my mount worked great except the azimuth would not rotate. You could hear the motors spinning but the mount would move a faction of a degree. When I opened up the mount I did not see anything out of the ordinary. So I lubricated all the parts and put it back together. As I was putting it back together I noticed it could spin so I decided to spin it 360 degrees. As I was doing so I noticed that it was catching on something in the rotation. So I took the unit apart and saw that the metal mount arm of the motor/gear assembly was rubbing against the outer can. I took a metal file and filed down all the areas where I could see scratches. Once I had done this a few times the unit freely rotated without catching. I put everything back together and it spins fine now! I have noticed other people list this problem so if you cannot figure out what is wrong check to make sure that the motor mount arm is not rubbing against the outer can casing.

Also in MistrBadgr's instructions he talks about using a string to pull the worm gear assembly back so that the "can" can fit into place. I was able to achieve this by just pushing down on the assembly and it snaps into place without problem.

Thanks,

John

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2681 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words!

I may have to pull apart a mount and puzzle over what you have said.  It has been a while since I have been inside one of the mounts and a really long time since I wrote those posts.  I am trying to visualize how the arm on the azimuth drive unit could hit the can if everything is in place well enough for the worm gear to mesh, but it obviously can.  It may be that there is something that can "creep" and change shape over time.

When/if things do creep over time, filling down the offending part is really about the only answer.

Thanks for the post.  This is a new wrinkle for me.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users