#1 FLORIN

FLORIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

Hello everybody !

I was very pleased to discover that Meade ACF-SC 8'' and 10'' LX200 OTAs are now on sale on the Astroshop website - the main online vendor of astronomical instruments in Europe. This is a smart and useful move since until now it was very difficult to find in Europe Meade ACF-SC OTAs except for the LX800 series.

Since I am already the happy owner of a LS6 go-to telescope I am considering to also buy a Meade ACF-SC 8'' LX200 OTA. I discovered on the Astroshop website that the primary mirror of this OTA - and maybe the secondary too - is made of "borosilicate glass" . In the same time the 10'' LX200 model have both the primary and the secondary mirror made of Pyrex glass - as for my LS6.

What is the difference for the visual user ? Is it a matter of thermal adaptation between the two types of glass ? A matter of durability ?  Thank you for any clarification.

Florin

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

I am thinking that Pyrex is more of a name for a product from Corning.  Borosilicate glass is a more generic name for the same thing or something very similar.  If there is any real difference, it would be minor.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users