5 replies to this topic

#1 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

The CFO (wife) has approved my upgrading the telescope in my SkyShed POD observatory from a Meade 8" LX200-ACF (on a wedge) to a Meade 12" LX600 with Starlock & X-Wedge.  I plan to make the purchase in the next month or so.  But first I have some questions that I hope some current LX600 owners can answer.  As the telescope will be used from inside my observatory, some of my questions are specific to use beneath a dome.

Q1. What happens during Starlock initial lock on when there is an obstruction (i.e., observatory dome)?

Q2. What happens during Starlock tracking when an obstruction (i.e., observatory dome) gets in the way?

Q3. When the sky is still too bright for a Starlock lock on (i.e., getting ready for an early evening satellite pass or Sun viewing) or when the Starlock is covered (Sun viewing) does the Starlock need to be specifically turned off first?

Q4. When setting up for satellite tracking is the Starlock disabled automatically or does it have to manually turned off?

Q5. I love my Meade Wireless AutoStar II handcontroller.  I assume it will still work on the LX600.  True?

Q6. With my LX200-ACF I use SkySafari 5 Pro and ScopeBoss on my iPhone via a Wi-Fi adapter connected to a RS-232 port.  I assume that I should be able to control the LX600 via these apps over Wi-Fi.  Anyone have any experience with these apps to control the LX600?  Any issues?

Q7. Apparently the Meade LX600 f/5 Focal Reducer #07595 is not available.  I have read that the Optec Lepus 0.62x Reducer is a good replacement.  Any comments on LX600 focal reducers?

Q8. How critical is the Starlock Utility (which is Windows only)?  I do not have Microsoft Windows.

Q9. For those who have upgraded from an LX200-ACF to the LX600, are there any suggestions you'd make to a new LX600 owner?

Any and all comments are appreciated.  Thanks.  --Mike

#2 bamejer

bamejer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

I've had my LX600 10" since October. I upgraded from an ETX-90 and love the LX600.

Q1. What happens during Starlock initial lock on when there is an obstruction (i.e., observatory dome)?
 It can't see anything to lock on to so it will not lock.  
Q2. What happens during Starlock tracking when an obstruction (i.e., observatory dome) gets in the way?
 It will not lock.
Q3. When the sky is still too bright for a Starlock lock on (i.e., getting ready for an early evening satellite pass or Sun viewing) or when the Starlock is covered (Sun viewing) does the Starlock need to be specifically turned off first?
 I don't think you need to but I do anyway since it serves no purpose.
Q7. Apparently the Meade LX600 f/5 Focal Reducer #07595 is not available.  I have read that the Optec Lepus 0.62x Reducer is a good replacement.  Any comments on LX600 focal reducers?
 I'm using the Meade F/6.3 FR that I had on my ETX.  I'm looking at getting the Lepus once I get better at imaging.
Q8. How critical is the Starlock Utility (which is Windows only)?  I do not have Microsoft Windows.
 You can use it to see images taken with the Starlock (and therefore focus if necessary) and to see tracking performance.  I think you might want to run a windows VM on your mac.

Jerry

#3 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

The CFO (wife) has approved my upgrading the telescope in my SkyShed POD observatory from a Meade 8" LX200-ACF (on a wedge) to a Meade 12" LX600 with Starlock & X-Wedge.  I plan to make the purchase in the next month or so.  But first I have some questions that I hope some current LX600 owners can answer.  As the telescope will be used from inside my observatory, some of my questions are specific to use beneath a dome.

Q4. When setting up for satellite tracking is the Starlock disabled automatically or does it have to manually turned off?

Q5. I love my Meade Wireless AutoStar II handcontroller.  I assume it will still work on the LX600.  True?

Q6. With my LX200-ACF I use SkySafari 5 Pro and ScopeBoss on my iPhone via a Wi-Fi adapter connected to a RS-232 port.  I assume that I should be able to control the LX600 via these apps over Wi-Fi.  Anyone have any experience with these apps to control the LX600?  Any issues?

Q9. For those who have upgraded from an LX200-ACF to the LX600, are there any suggestions you'd make to a new LX600 owner?

Hi MIke.

I upgraded 3 years ago from a 10" LX200gps to a 12" LX600 ACF.

​It was a good upgrade, but, not all is sweetness and light.....I have a severe amount of slack in my Dec motor gearbox. So much so, I usually turn off dec tracking (Which rather defeats the object of having a Starlock).
The optics are very good, and Astrophotography is made easier through the good pointing which the technology of Starlock makes a simpler process to achieve. 
The LX600 firmware is based on the original LX200 firmware (bugs and all), the starlock code having been written into the memory areas previously occupied by the original Smart Mount coding (which also failed to work reliably).
​Starlock target / pointing accuracy does work, but dec tracking is no good because of the previously mentioned gearbox slack. Anti-Backlash is also buggy and does not complete the process.

I recommend the use of "AlignMaster" software. You'll need a good alignment if you are going to turn of Dec tracking. Takes about 20 minutes for three iterations. 
​If Meade could be persuaded to get the bugs out of the firmware, the LX600 would be a really good tool.
​Clear skies

Wayne (UK)

#4 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Wayne.  Good info.  Bummer about the DEC drive.  I hope I don't have that problem.

I'll be picking up my 12" LX600 from OPT on Tuesday, 9 February!  Looking forward to getting it set up in my observatory.

Mike

#5 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

For those interested, here are my first two reports on my 12" LX600.

Checkout and First Light

http://www.weasner.c...2/18/index.html

Meade 12" LX600 in the SkyShed POD

http://www.weasner.c...8day/index.html

Mike

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Mike!

I will be watching your exploits with interest!

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users