• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maddy

maddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Just set up my MEADE Infinity 600 AZ Refractor Telescope - can't see anything out of it - what can I be doing so wrong!? Looking out of my window expecting to see maybe a hill or telegraph pole that I can locate by eye but nothing to be seen!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi Maddy,

Welcome to the forum!

Let's start with the very basics.  I am not totally sure how that scope comes set up, out of the box, so I will start with the refractor optical tube hooked onto its mount, which is on its tripod.  These may all come assembled together in part, but I am not sure which parts came together.

With the scope set up on the tripod and mount, looking out the window.....normally you don't get a very good image through window glass, but that is OK for now.  You look down the side of the scope and can see something outside to point the scope at.  You look at the scope and window sill, etc., and can see that there is some clearance and none of those things are in the way.  Then, you install the diagonal in the focuser at the rear of the scope, then install the 25 mm eyepiece.  You then look at the front (big end) of the refractor tube and remove the lens cover....all you see is black of that is left on.

Then, look through the eyepiece.  Most likely you will not see anything yet.  Turn the knob of the focuser, the draw tube ( the part of the focuser that moved in and out with the diagonal and eyepiece) and see if you get anything to come into view.  If you still do not see anything, look down the side of the scope to recheck that the optical tube is pointed at an object outside.

If you still cannot see anything, but the image looks like sky, lower the view of the scope until the view through the eyepiece gets darker.  Then, try to rack the focuser in and out again and see if anything comes into focus.

If all this does not work, there may be something in the way that you do not realize is in the way.  Take the scope outside and try again.  If that does not work, then there may be something wrong with the scope.

Let us know how things turn out.

Bill Steen

• maddy likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 maddy

maddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:31 AM

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I have gone through the basics and am sure everything is set up correctly. Took it outside but could not see anything specific, apart from possibly some distant tree branches. A friend suggested buying a lens with minimum magnification instead of the supplied 4mm and 12mm eye pieces - not sure if they exist or not?!

Unfortunately, I bought the Telescope for my Grandson - the product details said: "Experience the wonders of the night sky from your bedroom window or garden shed with the Meade Infinity 600 AZ Refractor Telescope".  This differs from the instruction manual!

Thought I would wait until a clear night with visible stars and moon, see if I can view anything then and identify if the telescope is faulty or not.

Thanks again for your help

Maddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users