2 replies to this topic

#1 selfo

selfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Greetings:

This is my first post to the Meade forum as I am the happy owner of a used LX 200 GPS 8 inch. Presently it is running Autostar II rev 2.0b. I think the latest rev is 4.2g. I was wondering if there some documentation available which has info on what the updates actually do going up to 4.2. I am just trying to figure out if it's worth updating my scope since it seems in this forum and in others some folks get into trouble attempting this and end up with a PushTo scope instead of a GoTo scope. Seems also there are different ways of doing the update such as Star Patch software as well as the Meade Autostar updater. My PC is running Win 7 64 bit and I do have a serial port on my PC So I think all I need is the Meade 507 cable?. Lastly is there a pin out diagram of the cable available just so I can make sure my 507 cable is wired correctly? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks and happy to be in the Meade community.
Stewart

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Hi Stewart!

Welcome to the forum.

My equipment uses what one might call AutoStar 1 and I did have a scope that used AutoStar 3, but I am not familiar with AutoStar 2.  I believe there is a pin-out for the cable on "Weasner's Mighty ETX" site.  I think you can get there with www.weasner.com/etx.

The regular www.meade.com site was hacked a while back and they are still fixing things.  I am not sure if all the links work yet.  Some of them did not the last time I checked, but the Meade people are aware of the problem and are working on it.

As far as the number of the particular upgrade goes, I am not sure about the nomenclature for AutoStar II, but my original AutoStar setups are at 4.3.  The 4.2 you mentioned may not be the right programming, but I do not know for sure.

As a general rule that I try to follow for upgrades is:  Unless I have a problem that I think an upgrade will fix, I do not go for the upgrade.  If I do go for an upgrade, I try to download it to my computer and make the upgrade to the machine from there.  Don't try to upgrade directly over the internet.

You might want to call Meade Customer Support and visit with them about the situation.  Their number is 1-800-626-3233

if you are in the United States.  They can be contacted at customerservice@meade.com.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your "new" scope!

Also, let us know about your adventures with your scope, we enjoy hearing stories, and do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

• selfo likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:31 AM

Autostar 2 version 4.2g is the latest (has not been upgraded in years) for the LX 200 GPS.  I would recommend upgrading using Star Patch (free for LX 200 GPS users).  It is much faster and much less likely to hang up during the upgrade than Meade's installer.  Your version is very old, and the newest version fixes alot of issues.

I would also recommend joining (and asking for help) at the Yahoo LX 200 GPS forum.  Most of the LX 200 experts (Dr. Clay, Andrews, Weasner, Erickson, etc.) hang out there and are very good at helping "novices".  In addition, the files section of the Yahoo group has schematics on everything LX 200 related...  Andrews also has written programs to help you control what Autostar does (and does not do) which are also available for forum members.

The LX 200 GPS is a great scope, capable of extrordinary viewing... so go for it.

Jim

• selfo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users