Photo

What would you want to see in the next firmware update?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

It looks like Meade are trying to promote the ETX LS series again - so let us suppose that they are looking to do some product development to make this great scope even better

We're used to the features of version 1,6a - what would you want to see in the next version of the firmware? 

My starters ... 

So that it is safe to use with a 2" diagonal and dSLR, I would like to be able to set a MAXIMUM ALTITUDE limit - so that I can avoid the risk of jamming the accessories into the mount.

A fast sort and search facility, so that you can navigate to satellites/asteroids/comets/stars quickly rather than having to go through the full list one by one (even 8 by 8 is really unhelpful when there are thousands of items in a catalog)

Enable the use of a Bluetooth or wifi dongle so that users can control the scope with a smartphone or tablet. We've already got a spare USB port, so let's make use of it.

Enable firmware refresh/update from a USB stick - so that the next generation of users don't need to search for Mini SD cards. Even when the scope came out, Mini SD was a very niche format, even more so now. 

• Betty L Myers likes this

#2 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:36 AM

What about a driver that is fully compatible with all the modern astro software, so that we do not have to hack the current drivers to give it a chance to run as required?

Clear Skies

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift, Optec Pyxis LE De-rotator TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

Camera Olympus ZX1, EOS 1100D ZWO ASI 120MC

#3 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:24 AM

What about a driver that is fully compatible with all the modern astro software, so that we do not have to hack the current drivers to give it a chance to run as required?

Is there a problem with the drivers? I've used the LS with Stellarium and a couple of other programs and it works OK. What am I missing out on?

#4 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

Lucky you :)

I never did get it working as it should, meaning that all the normal functions works correctly, from nudging to slewing etc...

Nor with stellarium (it did slews some times) nor with APT, nor with other programs, the meade drivers are made to work only with the meade software....

You cannot connect control and guide the scope with ASCOM, the meade driver for the LS simply does not support it.

I got the scope functional using the Meade-ETX_LS beta driver from the yahoo group , you can check here for more info.

https://groups.yahoo...ations/messages

Clear Skies

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift, Optec Pyxis LE De-rotator TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

Camera Olympus ZX1, EOS 1100D ZWO ASI 120MC

#5 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

It looks like Meade are trying to promote the ETX LS series again - so let us suppose that they are looking to do some product development to make this great scope even better

We're used to the features of version 1,6a - what would you want to see in the next version of the firmware? 

My starters ... 

So that it is safe to use with a 2" diagonal and dSLR, I would like to be able to set a MAXIMUM ALTITUDE limit - so that I can avoid the risk of jamming the accessories into the mount.

A fast sort and search facility, so that you can navigate to satellites/asteroids/comets/stars quickly rather than having to go through the full list one by one (even 8 by 8 is really unhelpful when there are thousands of items in a catalog)

Enable the use of a Bluetooth or wifi dongle so that users can control the scope with a smartphone or tablet. We've already got a spare USB port, so let's make use of it.

Enable firmware refresh/update from a USB stick - so that the next generation of users don't need to search for Mini SD cards. Even when the scope came out, Mini SD was a very niche format, even more so now. 

Yes!  To be able to use a USB stick to store the Picture taken by its camera..  I can not find a Mini SD card at this date of 2016..

#6 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

I can not find a Mini USB card at this time(2016) and would like to be able to use a USB stick to store the Picture taken by it camera, or be able to download to a computer..  

• Betty L Myers likes this

#7 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:06 PM

I can not find a Mini USB card at this time(2016) and would like to be able to use a USB stick to store the Picture taken by it camera, or be able to download to a computer..  

You should be able to buy one on ebay fairly easily - and it's worth getting a spare one for firmware purposes anyway. 

#8 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

I feel the same..  Can not find a Mini USB (2016) and would like to be able to use a Thumdrive in the USB to store Picture taken by the Eclips camera abord..

#9 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

I would like to see Meade make the software compatible with the Mac computers and also the firmware and the LS Telescope..  Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users