3 replies to this topic

#1 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

Looks like the site is back up.  I recently bought a digital level to check out my setup.  It seems like the bubble level on my wedge is off by half a degree.  Anyone else check the accuracy of their mount?

#2 tarashnat

tarashnat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Looks like the site is back up.  I recently bought a digital level to check out my setup.  It seems like the bubble level on my wedge is off by half a degree.  Anyone else check the accuracy of their mount?

I've always used a two-way bubble level on the flat part of the wedge. First I level the East & West legs of the tripod, then the South leg. The bubble level in my wedge popped out years ago and was always difficult to see while adjusting the tripod legs.

#3 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

I decided to give it a little tlc, since I'm a little ocd.  I popped the bubble level off the base.  I set the base up on a firm table, and spent some time with the digital level and spare door shims.  Once I had it nicely leveled, I put on a dab of JB Weld and carefully set the bubble back in place.

It was nice to see the levels housing is brass.  The bubble can be very accurate.  When I set the base off by a tenth of a degree with the digital level, you can see the bubble slightly off also.

It is true though, it can be difficult see with the scope mounted.  

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

99 percent of the bubbles are always off from the factory.They get you close but it never hurts to keep a spare level with you to make sure you are truely level,

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users