#1 jiangshi

jiangshi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

Greetings!

I have a friend that has a Meade 4400 telescope, and we have both been searching the Internet for a manual (pdf) for the scope. If anyone has the manual or a pdf of the manual, I would greatly appreciate getting a copy. And just so that I give something in return, one of the issues people have had with the 4400 is the .965 eyepiece size. It turns out that the eyepiece holder unscrews from the focus tube. Here is a link to a company that manufactures a 1.25 inch eyepiece holder as a direct replacement for the original. The current cost is listed as $33 including shipping. There may be other sources for the part then the one I show here. I chose this one because I know that it will fit in terms of size and threads.

http://www.tsmcenery...w/125meade.html

It is true that a person can buy an adapter that goes from .965 to 1.25, and he has done that. It turns out the additional focus length that is added by the adapter, puts the necessary focus range outside of the focus tube's travel limits.

I think it would be a good idea tor Meade to make available the pdf's they do have for these legacy telescopes. I am sure they are thinking that if they withhold those, people will upgrade. Perhaps a very few will, but I think most people are like me and hold customer service up as a major factor in determining who they are going to do business with. It's thought anyway.

By the way, it seems as if the Meade 4500 is very similar to the 4400. They both are 114 mm diameter, 910 mm focal length, and f/8 focal ratio. So far, the difference I can find is that the 4500 comes with a 1.25 inch eyepiece holder. Does anyone know if that is the only difference?

Thank you!

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

You are probably right with the 4400 being the same as the 4500, except for the eyepiece setup. Years ago, all of those manuals were on the regular Meade site. When the company was sold, the new company re-did the website and somehow those files, along with a number of other things, were lost. Everything was supposed to get transferred, but it did not quite happen that way.

You might try calling Meade Customer Support at 800-626-3233 and see if they have a pdf of it on a computer somewhere.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 jiangshi

jiangshi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

Hi Bill,

That's a good idea. I will give them a call. In the meantime, it seems as if the manual he downloaded for the 4500 is working. He use the collimation procedure in it to collimate his telescope.

~todd

You are probably right with the 4400 being the same as the 4500, except for the eyepiece setup. Years ago, all of those manuals were on the regular Meade site. When the company was sold, the new company re-did the website and somehow those files, along with a number of other things, were lost. Everything was supposed to get transferred, but it did not quite happen that way.

You might try calling Meade Customer Support at 800-626-3233 and see if they have a pdf of it on a computer somewhere.

Bill Steen

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:41 AM

Hi Todd,

If the scope is the same basic type, in terms of the optical tube, the instructions for collimation should be the same.

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users