• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 astronomybug

astronomybug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

hello, and back again, but only second post. question is finally got to play with scope i recently purchased while back. i was checking my telescope when i found out that the flexible cable that is used to control the dec axis just does move the pointer on the setting circle, i have checked an double checked an everything is properly attached, is it possible that a screw is to tight or whatever, really dont know, outside of that scope is fine and having no trouble looking at objects when i have a starmap. any help, much appreciated. thanx ::) 

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

The declination control knob should move the scope on that axis if the thumb knob is tightened on the dec shaft. If that knob is tight and the control knob will still not move the scope, then there is something wrong. I will check things out on my mount this evening and give better instructions on where to find that knob, etc.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

If the declination knob is pointing North, the triple-spoked, black plastic knobbed thumb screw sticks out straight east, 90 degrees from the declination knob. The degree indicator is located between the two on my mount. That screw has to be tight in order for the shaft inside to remain stationary when you try to rotate the scope around that axis. If I remember correctly, mine may have had a little problem with the shaft being slick inside at first. Don't tighten it so tight that you risk stripping threads in the mount, but make sure it is good and snug. If the needle is moving on the scale, then the head that holds the optical tube is moving as it should and should move the optical tube.

Holler back if this is not clear and I will try again.

Bill Steen

#4 SteveC

SteveC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hello. I just got the Polaris 130. Of course it was overcast the first night. I am a little unclear about what to do with the RA setting circle. When the scope is aligned and in the start position, the RA indicates 6 hrs. I know that can't be right since Polaris has an RA short of 3hrs. I see that the setting circle has a set screw and can be moved. I assume I must calibrate it to a known postion. I am new to EQ mounts and the manual did not elaborate. Also, I see the white RA index mark on the top of the axis. What is the silver index needle for? Any help is appreciated.

Steve

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:36 AM

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

I am away from home on a business trip right now and don't have my Polaris 130 with me.  I don't use the setting circles, just use a star map and star hop to objects, so I cannot answer your question off the top of my head.  If anyone else out there can answer Steve's question, please go ahead.  If not, I will try to remember and look things over when I get home.

Using setting circles is somewhat of a lost art these days, but can at least get you in the general area of an object if used correctly...which I may not really know how to do.  In the old days, when those were really made in a precise way and were carefully used, they could get you in really close to an object.  With your Polaris 130 and your 25 mm eyepiece, you probably can get the object in the field of view with the setting circles, but it will be in the center of the field as more of a random chance.

You have a nice scope with the Polaris 130 and I think you can have a lot of pleasurable evenings with it.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#6 SteveC

SteveC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

Ok...after a little thought I have it figured out. After a polar alignment I have to calibrate the RA to a known position. Then I keep the RA set screw tight while tracking so the circle moves with the scope. Then, before going to another object, I have to loosen the RA set screw so the dial is stationary while repositioning. Then tighten the set screw and start tracking again. That way the RA circle will stay in calibration. Not sure what to use the painted on RA index mark for.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users