• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kermitto

Kermitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Please can anyone help me about how to update my Autostar handset on a Windows 10 machine? I want to see the ISS station but I have to update the Database in the handset

I have asked Meade Customer Service this:

Dear Meade

When will it be possible to get a USB to RS-232 (Serial) Adapter (SKU: 07507) with at Windows 10 driver, or even better a new solution where it’s possible to get rid of that old serial port and connect directly the Autostar to the USB port on the laptop.

They answer is this:

We have currently done no development with Windows 10, and have no set schedule to do so at present.

There is no need to make an update to a telescope working normally however; there are no enhancements or changes to performance you would notice. Also, there is always a chance in the update process that power or connection is interrupted or data lost and this can cause problems where you would need to send your scope to Meade for it to be resolved.

So have anyone of you solved this problem?

Thanks a lot.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2734 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

The latest update for the AutoStar programming was to Windows 7, and that update was not all that many years ago. Your cheapest route would be to pick up an older computer or borrow one from someone that is set up for Windows 7. The updater program is supposed to work on Windows XP as well. However, since they made the upgrade to Windows 7, I have not been able to use it on my personal XP machine. It did work on all the XP machines that Meade had in their offices at that time.

The other possibility is to see if a Windows 7 environment can be created inside Windows 10.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Raido shack will have the adapter you need I think pay the extra money for the best they have I bought a cheep one from another place took it back the same night went to shack payed the extra money still in use today no drivers needed..

Terry

Meade LX200 14" ACF GPS
Meade 4 speed micro focuser
Milburn Wedge
Panama City Florida

Live long and prosper

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:50 AM

as bad as win 10 is and unstable as it is i would look for a cheap windows laptop or something smaller at a good price.Why do you think Microsoft is giving away all the feww upgrades for windows 10?Thay want you to be their beta tester to find and fix all of their problems.Even a little windows 7 netbook would be fine.As for windows 10 well they can launch it on the next mission to space and let it be free.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Kermitto

Kermitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:26 AM

Thanks a lot.

You are right I will find a cheap laptop with Windows 7, and update my Autostar from there.

Thanks for your advice I appreciate it very much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx90

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users