4 replies to this topic

#1 Isgau8

Isgau8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hello everyone,

Just jumping into astronomy via the purchase of an LS-8. The unit came with a 26mm eyepiece which has afforded some nice viewing for a new guy. I would like to increase the capabilities of the scope and am hoping to get some recommendations for doing so. For the moment, I am largely interested in viewing the planets.

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Ian

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

get something close to a 9 mm ep and a good 2 to 3 times barlow.remember the smaller mm ep the smaller the viewing area on the eyepiece is.Thats why I like to use the 26 mm a 12 mm  and a 9 mm  they have larger viewing area plus with a 2 times barlow it gives you like 6 eye pieces.20 youll have your standard 26 mm  12 mm and say 9 mm then with a barlow  its like having another 13 mm, 6 mm and 4 mm eyepieces. And if you like to increase contrast or details a yellow  a red and a light blue filter added to them brings out more etails on planets.I believe Meade has a color filter set but Im not sure what colors are in the set as I dont do a lot of visual viewing any more.Im nore into CCD imaging these days.  Good luck on your choices.

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

Celestron make a good 9mm eyepiece (the X-Cel LX), which gives a wider angle view than a standard Plossl  Eyepiece.  The eye lens and eye relief are also much better, which makes it easier to use*

I've heard good reports of the Baader 9mm Eyepiece too, but that is a bit more expensive (nearer $100 / £100 rather than $70 / £70 for the X-Cel)

The recommendation to get a 2x Barlow is also good. 

* The plossl design is the standard design used for 'kit' lenses, and this has the disadvantage of having a smaller eye lens (and a shorter eye relief) as you go to higher power (shorter focal length) eyepieces.  Bear in mind though, that higher powers are usually at the expense of a degraded image (unless the viewing is very good), so you may well find that high power eyepieces are often not really that useful. 

My lowest power eyepiece is a 32mm plossl, this gives really nice views of clusters (and a handy 16mm focal length when used with a Barlow).

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the forum! There will be a lot of different recommendations about eyepieces, based on what a particular person has experienced. The thing is, most of them are right. There are a lot of good eyepieces out there.

One suggestion that does not come along often is to buy a set of relatively lower end eyepieces, not the high dollar ones, and try out different focal lengths and see what works for you. I have a lot of different eyepieces, some are relatively inexpensive and others pretty high priced. The high priced ones certainly are very good. But, I came to the conclusion that for longer focal ratio telescopes, most people would do well with a set of good Plossles. I person could spend a successful lifetime in astronomy with just a set of those. Beyond that, various eyepieces do add something to the view and may be worth the money to a particular astronomer, depending on his interests and the size of his pocket book, and I am not trying to down those eyepieces.

I am actually going to suggest that you consider the newest accessory kit from Meade in the 4000 series 1.25 inch Plossles. I have not looked through any of these, so I cannot tell you exactly how they will perform. Since there are changes in the focal lengths of most of them from what Meade has had in the past, I believe they are coming from one of Meade's new affiliates in the Sunny Corporation. However, I do not know that for a fact. Looking at pictures, the printing does look like that on other eyepieces I have received with Sunny produced telescope, but these eyepieces were modified achromats (three element) and not Plossles (four element). These plossles all have a 52 degree apparent field of view, except possibly the 32 mm, which I expect to be 50 degrees.

I have three telescopes now that I believe were made by Sunny companies. With all three, the optics have been very good. Coatings have been standard ones that have worked quite well. The lenses and mirrors appear to have been ground about as perfectly as can ever be expected from mass produced beginning and intermediate products. When viewing the moon, the MA eyepieces rendered views that were as sharp as any of my eyepieces, except possibly some of the most expensive. In summary, I really believe those products are worth the money one pays for them.

This new accessory kit comes in a nice case, with a handle. It includes fully multi-coated Plossles in 6, 9, 13, 18 and 32 mm focal lengths. The filters included are light red, dark yellow, light yellow, dark blue, light blue, green, and what I think is a neutral density 96% absorbance moon filter. The set also has a 2X Barlow. Looking at the way the top end of the Barlow gets larger than the normal diameter of the rest of its tube, I suspect it has T-threads on it for an imager or camera adapter. However, I do not know about the threads with any certainty. That is simply a guess. I do have t-threads on the 1.25 inch eyepiece adapter that came with my recently purchased LX 70 8 inch reflector.

This new accessory kit just went on sale for $160 and is listed in the products section of www.meade.com near the bottom of the visual accessory page.

With this kit, it would give you a lot of things to try out. Then, if you desired to purchase more expensive eyepieces, you would know what focal lengths will work for you.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen
  • RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

Also take a look at the accessories special going on at Meade right now, Meade Series 5000 HD-60 Eyepiece Set
SKU : 07736 is a bargain @ $399 excellent eyepieces for the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users