#1 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hello to any and all.

For me, a clear night when I don't have to work the next day is a rarity, so I get very little time to better understand my scope.. I have a very basic question to ask, Skewing to an object does not always place the object in the center of the field of view. If I use the hand controller's arrow keys to re-align the image to center, The scope stops tracking.

Is there a way of restart the tracking ?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi Bob,

If the scope aligned itself to start with, it should go to an object you choose.  Then, if you move with the arrow keys, the scope should continue to track the new spot that is in the center. If the scope is tracking just fine and then stops when you use the arrow keys, then something is wrong.

It could be that the gear training is off a bit, leaving some slack in the gears when you make a move in a particular direction.  There is a routine for that in the menu called, "Drive Training" or something similar.  I think it is in the "Setup" menu, but it could be under utilities.  For the LS, you do this at night when the stars are out.  The scope will do the whole procedure itself using the camera, using a bright star.  If training the drives does not take care of the problem, call Meade Customer Support, tell them what you have done so far to remedy the problem, and see if they have any recommendations.

There is a routine in the menu for putting objects in the center, but I do not remember, off the top of my head, what it is called.  It basically sets the arrangement between the scope and its camera, which can get off a bit.  Mine got bumped one time when I was traveling and moved the camera position a tiny bit.  I used this function to re-center the object in the field.  After that, everything was centered.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thank you Bill.

I've been using terrestrial objects to train the drives. That;s likely why objects aren't centered to begin with. I haven't had enough 'quality time' to learn the finer points of the scope. Real life issues and weather combine to limit opportunity.. Polaris would be an ideal star to train the drives, but it's obscured by the neighbor's house in the backyard. The next chance I get I'll try a bright star as you suggest.

Regards, Bob

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hi Bob,

I think, when you push the drive training button at night, the scope will find its own star and do its thing, or at least I remember mine doing that.  I just had to stand back and watch. :)  When it was over, I said, "My, my, what a mechanism!!!

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

Bill - I'm going to look again at the instruction book. I used the 'manual' method: i pointed at a target.When I pressed the button to train a drive the scope would slew off center and I would bring it back to center with the arrow keys. I don't remember seeing an automated training method but it would be great if it had one built-in. 

Thanks again.

Bob

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

training and calibrating drives is done in terestial mode and drived no not function in this mode.Once tour drives are trained and calibraed your good to go.Switch back to the other mode then align your telescope using the 2 star method and you should be good to go with fully functional drives.But remember when in terestial mode all drives are disabled unless you press a direction key then they will move but then stop when the key ie released.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#7 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thank you for your response, Mark,

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users