#1 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOppegĂ„rd, Norway

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:04 AM

Hi!

It has been two years since I got my LX600. Just thought I'd share my experiences with my scope..

Overall I have been very pleased with the performance of my scope (also in freezing temperatures)! I use my scope visually in Alt/Az mode.

When I got it and assembled it, I opened the cover-plates on the fork arms, to check the cable wiring, if all the screws were tightened properly, if grease were applied in the right places, etc..

The wiring in the left fork-arm wasn't optimal regarding movement and contact with surrounding surfaces during movement. So I rearranged it and added electric tape to it and possible contact points (with a touch of lube where needed) to minimize ware and tare over time.

At first I had a problem with the GPS-fix (scope could not find GPS signals) when aligning the scope. I opened the front cover (with the circuit board underneath) on the base. The telephone cable, running from within to its contact in the front of the circuit board was very tight. I disconnected it and tried to loosen it some, and did also carefully brush a screwdriver over the wiring underneath, in case of some bad contact points. It did the trick!

This have happened a few times since (4-5 times or so), and each time I have to open the front cover and do the same, and it works right away.

To solve the problem permanently, I suppose I have to open the plate underneath the base to get access to the underside of the circuit board..

When tilting the scope from top to bottom or bottom to top, the primary mirror moves slightly with a small thump. To make the scope perform optically correct I have to tilt the scope straight up to make sure the mirror sits firmly in the right angle each time I start observing. I have no image shift when focusing back and forth.

Not sure if this is a fault or a byproduct of the construction itself?

Also have an issue with the scope when it finds north during aligning. As others have written, my scope points to the left of true north during automatic alignment.

I haven't yet tried all the calibration methods or tweaks except "calibrate sensors".

All in all, the scope always places the objects, just about, in the center field of view, so I haven't made any effort to correct it.

Optically the scope performs very well.. Some of my fellow observers have said they have never seen certain objects as clear and good as in my scope.

Clear skies!

Marius - Norway

• RickScofield likes this

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

sounds like typical mirror flop .You can help reduce this by re distributing the grease.Rack focus all the way in then all the way out several times to re coat the shaft and get the grease even.This helps 90 percent of the time.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the report!  It is all good information!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 ecarfar

ecarfar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the review, awaiting my 12" this week.  Doesn't seem to be a lot of owners out there and second party manufactirers life Scope Stuff and Losmandy have no idea what will and won't fit on these scopes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users