4 replies to this topic

#1 ButchA

ButchA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

*Sigh*.... I guess after 10 years time, the motor drive gave out (even though a majority of those years it was stored away, disassembled, back in its original box).

My FREE 2005 Meade DS2114 crapped out on me the other night while trying to slew to Saturn. I didn't bump it or do anything crazy with it, but for some reason, while it did it's normal Bzzzz....Wrrrr... sounds, it had "issues" with the declination part of the drive, and struggled to raise itself upwards to lock onto Saturn. The original hand held remote, Meade 494 Autostar, was displaying "Motor Drive Failure" and after I pressed a button it said, "Testing Drives" or something like that, and slewed back and forth, and down but struggled to go up.

Here's a photo from a few nights ago before 11:00pm, when I brought it back in and put cover back on the tube.
DS2114-Drive_zpspwouxz9y.jpg

I played around with it again, removed the batteries, replaced them with fresh AA batteries, put it back together, and I still get the awful "Motor Drive Failure". cry1.gif

Should I try to contact Meade, even though this old scope is no longer made? Or should I just say, "Oh well... %&#& happens" and try to find a used motor drive on Ebay? Or, just leave it as is, but totally disengage the motor clutches and use it manually with no GOTO function at all?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Yes, that is a serious Uh-Oh!  You might try taking the arm section apart, re-lubricate the main drive shaft, maybe put a dab of a light grease on the gears in the gear train.  After many years, the grease can dry up.  I have taken them apart many times and have some write-ups about getting into the Gen 1 mounts back in the posts,....way back in time.

You might be able to find a mount for parts where someone had the scope fall over and broke the altitude drive shaft, which cannot be replaced.  That drive shaft in yours should still be good.

If nothing else, you certainly have my sympathies.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 ButchA

ButchA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thanks...  I'll most likely try to take it apart over the weekend.  It's funny...  Both axis points move freely and there is no sound of anything binding.  Tighten up the clutches and turn on the motor drive, and when you go through the setup, it starts testing the motors.  The horizontal/Right Ascension base doesn't seem to bind up or show any problems.  It easily rotates left to right and back again.  The vertical/Declination arm is what I suspect is having "issues".  During the motor drive test, the base is swiveling, but you can hear the arm try to raise up or lower and the scope doesn't move up or down.  It just goes side to side.

Hmmm....

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

Either there is truly something wrong with the motor system or something is binding with the drive.  I hope that the drive shaft did not take a big whack sometime.  The weak spot in the whole drive is a spot in the drive shaft in the arm, where a little three legged nut sticks through it.  If that part breaks, the repair is difficult at best.  I know of only one person who has ever truly repaired one.

Good luck!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 ButchA

ButchA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Thanks...  I'll take it apart (very carefully) over the weekend, and see what might be wrong.  Hopefully it's something simple...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users