5 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

I just received a notice from Astronomics that there is now a sale going on with Lightbridge telescopes.  The sale price on the ten inch is $599, the 12 inch is going for $849 and the 16 inch is still on sale for $1799.  The sale goes until September 15th.

Not long ago, I had a theft of my LS 8, a 11 inch SCT on a computerized  equatorial mount, and some other things out of my storage unit.  Even though I did not expect as much cooperation from my insurance company as I got, they paid be enough to purchase a 12 inch Lightbridge and an LX 70 8R reflector.  My deductibles were high enough that I did not have enough to go back with computerized scopes and after the theft experience, I really did not want to do that for a while.

The two scopes should be here by maybe Wednesday this coming week.

I will let you know about these scopes, what I am doing with them, and what I think of them.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

The sale Bill is referring to is for Meade Lightbridge offerings.
RickScofield

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, Rick!

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

The vendor I used to purchase my new scopes said they would arrive at their place on Monday, they would box things up, and send them to me. Today, Tuesday, is when the salesman told me to expect the scopes to arrive, but I did not actually believe it would happen that quickly, even though their store is only 150 miles away.  I thought they would most likely show up Wednesday.

When I went to work this morning, where were a few light clouds in the sky, but not a whole lot.  At noon, when I went to lunch, the whole sky was covered and a few drops of rain were falling.  Hmm, I thought, maybe the scopes are going to show up today.  Sure enough, when I got home, there were five mostly large boxes in the living room!  My wife said, "Your avalanche of boxes came.  Where are you going to put them?"  What a question!

I managed to get the LX 70 put together, and I will talk about it later.  I had eye surgery about three weeks ago in my right, dominant, eye to remove cataracts.  It is partially healed and is still sensitive.  In the warm and humid garage, I managed to get some sweat in that eye.....not a good thing.  First light will have to wait until later, as will set up of the Lightbridge.  This eye is coming along nicely...better than the left eye which was done several months ago.  I do not want to do anything stupid and mess up this second one, my telescope eye.

The LX 70 looks nice for its price range.  The rain this afternoon was final proof to me that new telescopes attract clouds and rain.

Bill Steen

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

Bill,
I am glad your replacements have arrived. Getting a new telescope is kind of like washing your car, both are a sure bet of rain.
PLEASE keep the sweat out of your eyes, start wearing a hat that has a sweat band.
I'll be real interested in hearing about your experience with the light bridge when it stops raining and your eye is better.
RickScofield

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Rick!

I started putting it together.  I got the base together and then went to fit the mirror section onto the base.  It would not fit.  Looking things over, I realized that they had sent me the base for a ten inch Lightbridge by accident.  I called Astronomics, we discussed the issue, and verified the part number on the box was for the ten inch base.  The box, however, did not say that in words.

Astronomics called Meade and I received an email within maybe two hours that a new base had been shipped to me.  I received a form to print out and put on the box of the ten inch base to ship it back to Meade.  How is that for service!

I have the optical section put together but have not collimated it yet.  The mirror certainly looks good, however I will not know how well it performs until I can get it out.  The other three 12 inch Lightbridge scopes I have seen had excellent optics so I am optimistic.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users