• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zapjohnny

Zapjohnny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

I recently purchased a Meade ETX-80 AT telescope which comes with an Autostar controller, and after putting the batteries in and starting it up, it began initializing, and instead of the Sun Warning, it simply displayed "In Download". Out of all the times I've restarted and replugged, or changed the batteries, it's only worked properly two times. Meade customer support has no solution for this. Any advice?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming it is under warranty, I would ask Meade to send you a different handset.  May be a bad chip somewhere.  In any event, it thinks it is trying to download something when it is not.  Unless you had it hooked up to a computer, trying to download something over the internet, it should not be doing that.  If your scope has the 494 handset, it cannot be hooked up to a computer anyway.

As I understand things, if there is some sort of failure during a download, the handset has to go back to the factory for reinsertion of the software from whatever they use to set it up the first time.

If the scope is second hand and not under warranty, you might ask Customer Support what it would cost to get your handset fixed, and then compare that price to what you can find on eBay.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

The ETX-80AT models come/came with the #494 AutoStar, which is not user updatable.  If a new purchase from a dealer I suggest contacting them for a replacement.  The problem is likely in the handcontroller but something is confusing the startup process, possibly some memory corruption.  If you can ever get it to start up normally you might try doing a RESET from the SETUP menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users