#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hi everyone I hope all are having a good summer. Anyway I currently own a LX 90 8" and just LOVE it however I am considering going to an LX 90 12" due to its ability to gather more lite. I do almost all my viewing in an suburban area that has allot of light pollution so the idea gather more light and seeing faint objects better sounds good to me. I realize that the LX90 12" weights 60 lbs as opposed to 30 lbs for the 8" but the 30 additional pounds does not bother me. I considered the LX 90 10" but if I am going to make a change I may as well go to the bigger tube. Its weight is 10 lbs more than the 10" so the weight difference is a wash. I am looking for honest advice on this so if you have any to offer please respond and share your thoughts.
RickScofield

#2 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:01 AM

Hi Rick,

I have the LX90 12, and apart from the jerky issues, recently discussed, it's a fantastic scope! I would say however that I have no other large scope to compare it to, my other scope was an ETX 90 so a bit of a step up. The 12" meade was always a dream of mine to own, and was lucky enough to recently acquire one. But it is big! I had seen a 10 and thought yep that's large but the 12, although only another 2" in aperture is seriously big. I have attached an image of my 12 compared to the etx which is quite amusing!
If you already have an 8" version then you will already know how good the optics, alignment and tracking are, so I won't need to mention that. The weight of the scope is probably about as much as I would want
to manage, each time I want to observe I have to take it out of its box and put it away afterwards and I need to brace myself and adopt the right lifting position! But it's ok and works fine. I would not want to attempt lifting a 12 LX200 though. When observing the image will wiggle all over the place if the fork is lightly touched but this does stabilise very quickly. Note I was lucky enough to get his scope with the meade giant file tripod and the scope just looks right on this, the standard tripod does not look sturdy
enough for the 12 OTA to me.
The standard scope is quite front heavy with the normal 1.25 diagonal and plossl ep and will need very firm tightening on the dec, but if you have the 2" diagonal and large eps the scope balances better and can even become back heavy with the real large eps.
To give some idea of the power of the scope I have been able to easily resolve stars in almost all the messier star clusters I've looked at, the ring nebula with the 15mm ep is very large in the fov as are other PN's such as M27.but no sign of the central star in M57 think I would need serious dark skies and even more aperture for that! Images are wonderfully bright with the 30mm 82 deg ES ep I have. I can just about get the double cluster in the FOV in this ep, but wow what a view! Doubles are easily split in most cases and faint galaxies easily identified. The viewing conditions are good where I live but the long summer days mean that it does not get reasonably dark until after midnight but even then there is still a glow that permeates the western sky. Winter should be interesting.

Hope this helps a little

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• RickScofield likes this

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:11 AM

welcome to the world of choices.I own from an 80 mm refractor to the 10 inch lx200.to be exact the 80 mm   the 102 mm etx 125 the sn6 and light switch 8 .

The 10 inch lx200 is set up primarily for imaging.Not here are things to remember.What are yoy attempting to accomplish?  Viewing,imaging?Each scope plays a roll in what you plan on doing.The bigger the scope yes the more power to resolve smaller objects like splitting foubles.If you want wide field images or narrow fiels images. Visually the 10 inch works well but can be to much power for a lot of things.The 12 inch sounds nice but it is a lot of scope to move around.The 10 inch is a great choice as you can vaey things with focal reducers barlows and eyepieces,But then sometimes the 10 inch is just a lot of scope.If your mainly intended to view the 8 inch and 10 inch are great but if you plan on imaging i prefer my 80 mm or 102 mm refractors.The 6 inch sn is a great visual scope for wider fields.If you want a very easy to use scope for setup and visual work the LS8 cant be beat.It all boils down to intended use.But I think the 10 inch makes a great platform for all around viisual use..and isnt to bad for field transport even at my age and with MS.hope this info helps.With the older lx200 that was f 6.5 gave nice low power views and a lot of light gathering.The f/10 you gained power with slight loight loss.The newer OTAs are f/8 i believe so in a 10 inch model i thing you will  be  very happy with it.Before all of the changes at Meade i had the privilage to do a lot of beta testing for them on different products so i was able to compair things but times have changed and havnt tested a thing since the DSI 3 came out so on all of the newer things I have no clue as i was left out of the loop on testing and forgot about so I can not be much help on newer products unfortunatly.Good luck on tour choice and let us know what you decide.

Mark

• RickScofield likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Thank You Rob and Mark, great responses and both have provided me we more to consider. I wish I could actually work with one but no one around here has one. The local astronomy group is pretty much all Celestron users. Well that was true when I decided to get the 8" LX-90 so buying blind is nothing new. I have allot of faith in Meade and believe that a new 12" LX 90 will work as well as my 8" has. if I decide to move forward on this I think I'm going to wait and see if Meade runs a holiday sale like last year. Last years sale was a $400 reduction. Thank you again Rob and Mark.
RickScofield

#5 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

I purchased a new 10" LX90 in Feb..I went back and forth between it and the 12"..Alot of people said the 12" was under mounted, shaky and heavy..

I observe at my home and have to carry it about 50Ft outside to set up..I carry the tripod out then the scope..I'm in good shape , 43 yrs old and weigh about 185..By the time I get it to the tripod I think "Boy I'm glad I didn't get the 12inch"..LOL.. So if you have to carry it any distance to set up, you might want to consider the 10"..I have been very pleased with mine..

One thing you could do is if you have a bag of concrete or something that is close to 55-60lbs, pick it up and hold it out from your chest a little and walk around with it as if you are carrying the scope..That will put it into perspective..That much weight is not much to carry, but the scopes are somewhat awkward..I use the left carrying handle, but with my right hand I grip it right under the clutch to carry it out..I think my scope weighs 55lbs without tripod.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users