• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OG Style

OG Style

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

I have had DS-2114AT-TC with a 494 keypad for a few years now and I had a few questions.

I was wondering if the firmware on the keypad can be updated and if it's possible to control the telescope with my pc.

Thanks

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2366 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:55 AM

here is my first impression on this subject.If isnt broke why fix it?If things are working fine why take a chance of messing it up.I think ive only updated firmware 1 time on my LX200 several years back just to see if there were any major differences,I personally didnt notice any to make the upgrade worth while.So long as you have taken the time to train and calibrate drives you shoud have no issues,Training and calibrating drives should be dont at least every 6 months but that all depends on the amount of use the scope gets and how much it had traveled and bumped around,If perminantly 

mounted and minimal use once a year if permenant mount and heavily used every 6 months.If non permenantly mount i train every 5 or 6 outtings.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2366 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:56 AM

PS you the 494 can be pc controled

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 OG Style

OG Style

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

I wasn't sure if the firmware needed updated regularly or not. I might need to learn the correct way to calibrate it. I was trying to track the moon and it wasn't staying on target so I thought it needed a firmware update. It's runner 13Ei. How do I go about controlling it from my pc?

Thanks
  • OG Style likes this

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

The 494 does not have enough memory space to be updated.  The computer attachment socket on higher level handsets is in the handset itself.  The 494 handset itself does not have one of those.  There is a rig that can be bought to attach a computer to the mount itself, but you might be better off to look for a second hand 497 handset on eBay.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 OG Style

OG Style

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users