• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 astronomybug

astronomybug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

new to forum, just purchased meade polaris 127mm reflector scope that came w/ red dot viewfinder. no problem w/scope or even how to work it. but how does the red dot viewfinder work? read directions an viewed dvd that came w/scope but not much help. also how do i get to remove the battery to the red dot finder? any one who knows about this type of finder or even has the scope i purchased, any help would be veryyyy much appreciated :D 

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your new scope.

The way to get to the battery is to look on the side of the red dot finder.  There is a little plastic drawer that has to slide out, but it is relatively firm to keep it from coming out when you do not want it to.  One one side of the finder, the little drawer says "Battery" I think.  On the other side, the little drawer says "Push."  Take something like a small stick and push on the drawer on the word, "Push."  The drawer should slide out the other side.  If I remember correctly from my Polaris 130, there is a little piece of plastic that covers one side of the finder battery that has to be removed, then put the battery in the drawer and slide it back into the finder.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 jiangshi

jiangshi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Congratulations on your new telescope! I just recently bought the Meade Polaris 130, and it also has the red dot viewfinder. I cannot say that I am a big fan of the red dot yet. After aligning the viewfinder with the main scope, I guess the idea is to put the red dot on what you want to view. Ideally, the target will be viewable in the main scope. One tip is to keep the intensity of the dot down a bit, and especially if you are viewing in a nicely dark location. The red dot works ok for large or bright objects, but for anything else, I think I much prefer a spotting scope. For example, let's say you want to look at the Ring nebula in Lyra. I know about where to look, just a bit below Vega and a bit to the right. With a spotting scope, I can see that area pretty clearly, but using the red dot does not get me nearly as close to my target.

Well, happy viewing with your new scope!

#4 Atjous

Atjous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, THE NETHERLANDS

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:37 AM

First of all: congrats on the new scope!

I find a red dot extremely valuable, especially when your scope has a narrow Field of View. 

The great advantage of a red dot is that you can keep one eye fixed on the object, and the other eye on the red dot. That way, you will be able to "match" them, and you're done. Provided that you have your red dot aligned with your scope, of course. Your manual tells you how to do that. Point your scope at a distinct object, THAN align your red dot at that same object. Do this during the day time, and choose a distant fixed object, like a telephone pole, a distinct architectural feature, whatever …

Personally, I prefer a combination of a red dot finder AND a small optical viewfinder, both on your scope. First, you do a "rough" search with the red dot, and after that a "refined" search with the viewfinder. Works like a breeze. 

Good luck and clear skies!

Meade LX90 8" GPS | Meade ETX90 | Coronado PST | Celestron C70

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users