3 replies to this topic

#1 Tubthumping52

Tubthumping52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRochester Hills, MI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'd appreciate any recommendations on extra eyepieces to acquire for my ETX-70AT. My request is based upon research I've come across that implies the two that come standard with the scope aren't "adequate" for optimal viewing . . . given the specs of this scope.

Thanks!

Steve

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi Steve,

I have an ETX 80.  What I use with mine is Meade 4000 series Plossles.  I have better and definitely more expensive eyepieces, but I run into space issues when going after something high.  The 4000 series Plossles are reasonably in keeping with the price of an ETX.  To get anything with a wider field of view to work well on that short of a focal length scope, you have to spend a lot more money.

Most likely, the 26 mm is about as long of a focal length as will be useful.  With that one, you can get about a three and a half degree field of view, which about the limit without the outer edges of the view going really nutty.  From the 26 mm, I normally drop down to the 15 mm, and then to the 9.7, etc.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield and Tubthumping52 like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Tubthumping52

Tubthumping52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRochester Hills, MI

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Bill!

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2359 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

with the 70 mm id keep a 40 mm a 26 mm a 16 mm and a 2 x barlow .this will give you at least 6 different magnifications. so basically end up with 40 mm 20 mm 26mm 13 mm 16 mm 8 mm .you can get magnifications here   http://www.meade.com...port/power.html

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users