• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nobber

Nobber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hello just ordered my ETX90 and need to source some cables to connect my laptop, it appears they go from rj10 to rs232 and then you have to buy a rs232 to usb convertor...is it possible to get rj10 to usb direct would this work? 

thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2879 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hello, Nobber!  Welcome to the forum!

As I understand things, you cannot get a cable that goes straight from the telescope to a usb port on a computer.  I am not sure what the difference is between the signals, but there is something about the situation that requires the converter.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

From Meade:
Remote operation of ETX telescopes using a personal computer (PC): Meade ETX Astro Telescopes equipped with the Autostar Computer Controller may be used in conjunction with Meade AstroFinder Software to operate the telescope in the GO TO mode directly from the display of a personal computer. With AstroFinder software loaded into the PC, and with the PC connected to the telescope through Autostar's RS-232* serial interface, as shown in the photo at left, the observer can point and click on any object shown on the PC display. The telescope then slews to the object on both telescope axes and places the object in the telescopic field of view.
Meade AstroFinder Software is packaged with the #505 Connector Cable Kit required for ETX- Autostar-PC operation. *PC's only with USB ports (i.e., PC's without RS-232 ports) require the Meade USB/RS-232 Adapter in addition.
  • doctorstork likes this

#4 Weasner

Weasner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

You need a #505 serial cable (easily made) to start with.  Then you can use a USB-serial converter (note that only some work reliably with the AutoStar #497).  OR you can use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with the appropriate adapter.  The Helpful Information: AutoStar Info page on my ETX Site (www.weasner.com/etx) has info on making the cable and the various adapters.  Personally, I use a Wi-Fi adapter with a Mac and iPhone.  SkySafari Pro works great to control the AutoStar telescopes.

• doctorstork likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users