Jump to content


Photo

Polaris Tracking Drive


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 2956 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

Meade now has a tracking drive for the Polaris equatorial mounts.  I decided to get one and try it out.  The cost was $40.  I will post more here after it arrives and I have had a chance to try it out.

 

Bill Steen


  • RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 MrDuttz

MrDuttz

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

I have just taken delivery of this telescope and I admit it’s early days but what I don’t understand about the drive (having followed the fitting instructions) is what I should see it doing? What were your impressions of it?

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

    Advanced Member

  • Administrators
  • 2956 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Hi MrDuttz!  Welcome to the forum :)

When I received my drive unit in the early days of this line of Polaris mounts, I discovered that it really was not designed for the Polaris 130 that I have.  It simply had no way to be used with the drive gear and clutch installed on one side of my Polaris mount.  I was able to take it to the other side of the mount, build a bracket that held the mount upside down, and attached its flexible coupling to the shaft the RA manual knob hooks onto.  I found that I had to run it as if I was living in the southern hemisphere, since I had switched sides.  I used it that way for a while, but finally decided I would rather just use a manual knob and forget the drive unit.

 

I sent in information to people I know in Meade, but I do not know if they were ever able to implement any changes in drive units to make it more compatible with the mount.

 

What I did do, was to shorten one of the drive knobs that came with the scope.  The knob length was too long for the space it was working in and would keep the scope from being pointed in all directions.  I sawed the cable in to, about an inch away from the metal end.  This left the bulk of the cable attached to the plastic knob.  I unwound the cable, which had about 32 wires in it, if I remember correctly.  I then took a pair of pliers and jerked the individual wires out of the plastic knob.  Using some regular white glue, I filled the cavity in the know where the wires had been attached and stuck the new short end into the hole.  I let it dry for a few days.  That new stubby know has worked very well and does not get in the way of scope movement.

 

If you would like, I can inquire and see if there have been any changes made to the drive unit that would make it work better than mine did.

 

Bill Steen


Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users