• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 STSFAN

STSFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

I recently acquired a DS-2000 60mm refractor with Autostar. It remembers the date but not the time; I believe it is the early version Autostar.  There is no "coin" battery to be seen in the battery compartment. Before I start taking things apart I was wondering where the battery for the clock may be hidden. Note that I am using 12v to run the thing.

A side note that may be of use to others: I was having a problem with the handset not working/showing a "bad key" message. After some trouble shooting discovered a microscopic piece of "stuff" bridging two of the conductors off the handset connector (can be seen inside the battery compartment). Removed the "stuff" and everything works.

Thanks for any help on the clock issue...

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

If there is no coin-like battery in the bottom of the battery compartment, then your mount may be one of the LNT mounts.  They had the battery located in the finder.  The location for all the other DS mounts that I have seen have been under the AA Battery holder.  Even in the LNT mounts, there was a depression where a silver coin-like battery would go inside the battery compartment, just no clip to hold the battery or any contact surface.

after the LNT version was discontinued, there was a plug-in clock of some sort that was sold that would plug into the auxiliary port, I think.  Occasionally, I see one of those clocks being sold of eBay.

If your mount does not even have an indention in the casting in the battery compartment for the little battery, then your mount is really old and outside my experience.  I have worked with DS 2000 mounts for over ten years and all of those have had the battery indention in the castings.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 STSFAN

STSFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:45 AM

Bill

Thanks for the reply. There is absolutely no clock battery, or indentation for one, in the battery compartment and the finder has no electrical connections of any sort to anything......it's a mystery. I don't know what  "early" means for these but the manual is dated 2001. Something must power the clock, I suspect the battery must be on the circuit board. It's possible they used a capacitor to power the clock but they don't hold a charge too long and again it would likely be on the board.

Thanks

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like it is a very early version of the mount.  The board would be the logical place. The bolt in the center of the mount, under the batteries is what holds the bottom bell on the scope.  With that bolt removed, you should be able to work the bottom bell back and forth and get it to come off.  The board should be visible from there.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users