3 replies to this topic

#1 John S.

John S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

I am having one hell of a time getting a fine focus when attempting to take pics with my LPI/DSI. Too much wiggle and giggle in the mirror to get anything precise. I have ordered the Peterson Eng. E-Z-Focus kit, but was wondering if anyone would have any comments on the suitability of a WO Crayford 2-speed focuser for an 8" LX90. I had a look at one and it seems to be a very precise piece of engineering,..but really heavy around 1 kg. alone, nevermind the camera or 2" eyepieces, also it would appear to greatly restrict high dec. angles due to the physical obstruction with the base.
I would appreciate any comments.

John
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

#2 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:37 AM

I added the Meade Zero Shift Microfocuser to my LX90GPS 8" scope. I then added the balancing kit made by Meade that allows you to add sliding weights in a bar attached to the scope with its esixting screws along the bottom. Using this with a Lumicon Super Finder as a guide scope, mounted with Losmandy bar and adjustable rings for a guide scope on a wedge, this is working well. I was amazed at how heavy the focuser was.. at least a couple of pounds and on th end of the scope, I needed the weights to balance.

I'm considering switching out the Lumicon 80mm Super finder for a Meade ED80 but don't know if (1) its too heavy and (2) if I can mount it with the six points of support given by the Losmandy rings... anyone with ideas?

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

The Meade 80 mm should work fine onm the 8 inch.
And the Losmandy rings will work well also.
Just make sure you get a good balance and you should be ok.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Many thanks Mark... I'll give it a try. The Losmandy rings are really well built, just worried about the diameter of the scope vs. the rings. I have the 91 mm rings with three alignment screws on each. If this were too heavy I was considering a 66mm by Williams Optics, but I'd be giving up aperture.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users