4 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

I saw an add showing an LX 90 scope, I think, with a Meade battery power supply.  I looked it up on the Meade Store and found 7 and 17 amp-hour(?) versions.  I think I will have to get one of those.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Bill,
MEADE is offering these as part of a promotion and sale for the LX90. Celestron offers the identical units only with their Logo on it. These portable power supplies are the way to go and seem to work great with MEADE 12 volt devices. If you don't already have a power supply I would think one of these would make a great addition.
RickScofield

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi Rick,

They are being offered as a promotion with the LX 90, but they are also listed on the Meade.com store for sale.  I have had the 17 version before, as you say, from another company.  I could power one of my DS scopes for about a month of casual observing before needing a recharge.  Had to use if for the radio during an ice storm with power out for about 7 days.  Had to leave for a hotel about 50 miles away (closest available) and forgot to take it along and forgot to recharge it when we got back.  The battery died.  It served a very useful purpose in a time of need so no real complaints.  I could buy a replacement battery, but would rather have a new one with the Meade Logo on it.

The Meade one has LED lights in it, which is appealing for me compared to tungsten bulbs.

I like the idea of the lighter weight 7 version for DS scopes, but probably need the 17 for my LS 8.  It uses more power than an LX-90.

Sounds like a good fathers' day present!

Bill

• RickScofield likes this

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

Bill,
I have a Wagon Power Dome for a 12volt power supply. It has a radio, LED light, jumper cables, and tire pump. It also has a 120 volt inverter for running 110 volt devices. It has worked very well for me with heavy use running both my LX90 and my ETX 90 at the same time. It's an overkill for what I'm using it for. If these MEADE power supplies would have been available at the time I purchased the power dome, I probably would have purchased the MEADE.
I hope you get your FATHERS day gift.
RickScofield

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, Rick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic