5 replies to this topic

#1 chase172

chase172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

Don't you need an eyepiece to get close up on the planets and such? Or does the lense on the LPI work like an eyepiece, and if so what would it be like? Could I use it on my 3x barlow lense?

And, if somebody has one can they post some pictures of it so I can see what the image quality is? Thanks!

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Yes you can use a 3 times barlow with it.You place the imager in the EP holder and focus on the OC screen.Then with then envisage software you can set it to take simgle images to stack in registax or use enviisage to combine

Here are some examples of planets through a LPI

saturnmarch25.jpg

juptest-2.jpg

marsoct28framed.jpg

• RickScofield likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 chase172

chase172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

Sorry for late response, but what does OC and EP mean?

Also, I put my compact cameras lense into the 3 times barlow lense (keep in mind I didn't put it into a telescope) and took a photo, but the photo looked like this

Hg0udMn.jpg?1

Will the LPI zoom in and focus on stuff? Does the LPIs lense work like an eyepiece so that when I hook it into the barlow lense, what the camera would normally see is 3 times bigger and it fills the screen instead of having a bunch of black around it?

Sorry for asking too many questions, I'm planning on buying the Meade LPI so I need to know a lot about it.

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

EP is eyepiece and OC should have been PC sorry my error.And from your image you are just way out of focus.With Envisage running on your PC you can focus using the live view setting and focus to a crisp clear image.I use the LPI and DSI imagers at outreach programs so that people can see more detail in planets and the moon and with the longer exposure of the DSI people can see dust lanes and make out individual stars in globular clusters and see the faint parts of galaxys and Nebula.When looking yhrough an eyepiece the human eye can only gather so much light as to there the imager can capture tons of light so your not looking at a fuzzy blurry blob.The imagers make it so you can really see detail.Once you get used to the LPI it is easy to focus and image with.The hardest part of it all and most important part is focus, focus and focus.

For wide spread nebula such as the Eagle nebula ive never seen it visually but a 30 sedcond exposure will let you see the eagle and the dimmer surroundings.

This is over 4 hours of exposure on it to smooth it out in the dim areas but you would fefinatly see the eagle even with 15 seconds on the LPI.

M16april15-2008.jpg

• RickScofield and RJ. like this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

also to more of your questions you can almost consider it like an EP but instead of going through the lenses of the EP you focus on tthe CCD chip.You can add barlows or reducers to a point if you want to go bigger or smaller in magnification.

Here is a write up I did some time back on how to work the dsi and focus but the info would be identical to the LPI.The only difference is the LPI was designed for planetary imaging using much shorter exposures as where the DSI was designed for exposures up to 30 minutes.But the software is identical in its use.

http://astronomy.qte...om/dsihelp.html

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#6 chase172

chase172

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thank you! You have answered all of my questions successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users