#1 Sforitana

Sforitana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:38 AM

Hello everyone from Greece...! 

I recently got my ETX-70 out of the storage and after I replaced the batteries and put it together I have some problems with the autostar. Sometimes when I press the direction arrows the telescope continues to move even when I stop pressing the arrows and I need to turn it off in order to make it work again properly. Some other problem I noticed is that sometimes it stops suddenly to respond and I have to restart it to make it work again (sometimes I need to restart it several times) and when it "dies" I see that the display goes off and the only buttons that are illuminated is the down arrow (the one right of the speed|? button) and the Mode button.... I think that I will end up buying a new autostar handbox but I would like to give it a try to find a solution and fix the one I already got...! Has anyone else encounter same problems? Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

May need to be sent in for repairs.Could be something as simple as dirty connections on the hand paddle or failing electronics.Electronics dont like to sit idle for long periods of time and like to dry out . This is why I like to power up my telescopes at least weekly even if not being used.Things that kill electronics when sitting for long periods is the sudden surge of electricity through them.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Sforitana

Sforitana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

You may actually be right...! Yesterday I opened the handbox and cleaned the circuit and the buttons. I used the telescope for more than 5 hours and I did not encounter any problem!!! :D Fingers crossed for tonight's stargazing session...!

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2879 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

That is really good news. I like it when I simple fix gets results! :)
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users