#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

OK to set the record straight, reading 2 differnt user guides from MEADE for the LX90, one indicates that adjustment for collimation is done using the 3 screws located on the OUTER surface of the secondary mirror housing however the other guide indicates that it’s the 3 screws on the INSIDE of the secondary mirror housing surface.

PLEASE which is correct ?

RickScofield 

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hi Rick,

They should be on the flat surface facing outward from the center fixture in the corrector plate.

Bill
  • RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

Outside screws are for holding the secondary on the corrector plate and the inside screws are for collimation Rick.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Bill, Mark,

As Mark has indicated,on the LX90 there are six screws total on this plate, three on the outside and three on the inside. Mark has indicated that the three on the inside are used for collimation adjustments.

Thank you Both,

RickScofield  

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

That is different than I am remembering on my LS 8. I need to go back and look at it again. I had to collimate it when I first received the scope, when they first came out, but not since. I guess that is one of those memory things they say you experience when you get older. :)
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

On my LX90 ACF it is the three inner screws for collimation..I had to tweak my collimation about 3 weeks ago using the Duncan method..Very easy using the mask I made and I could really tell the difference..

#7 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

Interesting... I'm sure I've only got 3 collimation screws on my scope, there are no inners and outers, and it's defintitely an ACF, but it is the 12" model, perhaps this has a different setup to the smaller apertures?

#8 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

all afcs should have 6 screws if i remember right.I know the old classic EMC models only had 3

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#9 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

You may not have noticed them.The outer screws are inset and blackened while the col screws are on the inside and stuck out.They are generally silver machine hex head screws.But I can alsway get with John over at meade to confirm this if need be.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#10 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

I will double check and report back. The scope is a 2011 with the crinkle paint finish and has ACF printed on the corrector ring and on the base of the scope, but the dead giveaway is the fact there is absolutely no coma when viewing the stars!! :)

Googling images of the newer LX90 12" ACF I can only see 3 screws; but can see 2 sets on the 8 and 10... strange. As I say I will take a look and let you know.

#11 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

Just got back from work, took the scope out and can confirm it only has 3 screws for collimation. I guess it must be something to do with the 12" model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users