3 replies to this topic

#1 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMercer Island (Seattle), Washington

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

I own a Coronado Solar Telescope and just purchased a 25 mm eyepiece.

When looking through it, I see the sun completely but the field of view is so small that if I barely move my eye in any direction, I lose part of the sun.

Moving my eye closer or further from the eyepiece has no affect.  Does anyone know what I am describing and how to fix it, if possible?

Thank you.

derek

#2 MeadeGuy

MeadeGuy

• Administrators
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hi Derek, 

What you are describing is common to all scopes and magnifications, it is quite common to have to move your head around a bit to see the whole field depending on the eyepiece in use. It is frequently seen on wide field type eyepieces, but can sometimes be seen even with basic ones. 

Best Regards, 

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp. 

• Mark Sibole likes this

#3 derekpw

derekpw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMercer Island (Seattle), Washington

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

I was told on another forum that it is probably due to my pupil being so small in the sunlight and that I should cover my head with something to block out the light.

#4 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

Quite honestly, I would not use a 25mm eyepiece with a PST. A 10-15mm eyepiece is far better and still gets the whole solar disc in. Visually, the 12.5 CEMAX eyepiece is as good as it gets (unless you have very big bucks). I use a 15mm Moonfish Group eyepiece as it is better for photography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users