#1 Marcus Runge

Marcus Runge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUelzen, Germany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hello,

are there any instructions, drawings, pictures or experience available to remove the secondary mirror from a 2004 12"LX200GPS for cleaning without damaging anything or facing bad surprises?

Regards,

Marcus

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

Mark Sibole and others who actually own one can tell you better, but the issue will be putting the mirror back and getting the collimation set up correctly. It is more complex than one might think.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

They are not to bad to remove.Advise it take pictures step by step in case you forget something.THere are supposed to be factory marks on the tube and corrector plate to make sure you line things back up.Also on the secondary and corrector plate.Most have them.Mine didnt.What I would do is with a grease pencil or some thin tape make your own marks on the corrector and on the tube to make sure you gett them lined back up.Also on the secondary and plate.Im not sure how dirty the secondary is or how it even got dirty as they usually never do.If the dirt is minimal i wouldnt even worry about it as it will make no difference in quality if views.But thats your choice.JUst take your time and ise a lot of caution.I myself use a clean new pair of steral gloves powger free to handle the corrector and secondary.It makes it easier for cleanup at the end and you dont get a missed finger print by accident.Good luck on it.Its not a hard job and only takes about 2 hours to complete.

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

Also google removing a corrector plate on a LX 200 there are several tutorials out there ive seen.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Marcus Runge

Marcus Runge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

I was already trying to find something, but I couldn't because my assembly looks different from others. Mine has the three collimation screws and only a little one on the side with unknown purpose. No markings at all. What is gonna happen if I take this side screw out?

#6 Bob Hess

Bob Hess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Fl

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Marcus,

Do not mess with the collimation screws or anything on the secondary holder. You want to remove the screws on the retaining ring that holds your corrector in. As others have indicated, after removing that retaining ring make sure you have marks on the corrector and the tube that you can line up during reassembly. This in essence "clocks" the corrector/secondary assembly back to the way it was assembled at the factory, and this is what you want. One way the inside of the corrector and the secondary can get dirty is to leave the corrector end of the scope pointing down and then not having a cover for the visual back. Always cover it with something, whether you leave the diagonal in, or use the cover that should have come with you scope. If you don't have it you can still order one from Meade that screws onto the threads on the visual back. A gentle blast of air should be more than enough to blow anything off of the secondary. Good luck!

Bob

Bob Hess

Project Manager

Remember: Wherever you go, there you are!

#7 Marcus Runge

Marcus Runge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:34 AM

Thank you all for your advices. Finally I will not touch this little side screw nor try to disassemble the secondary mirror. Instead I dropped a little bit of cleaning solution (Meade formula) on the secondary and sprayed it with compressed air away. All Drops where quickly moving off the mirror - no residue. I disassembled the Primary and cleaned it with the "drop and spray" method as well. Everything is put together and successfully collimated yesterday evening. I think it survived the "surgery"...

#8 meademods

meademods

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

I own a Meade LX200 GPS 10" and it is very easy to remove the Secondary Mirror and the primary as well.  

To answer your question about that Small black powered set screw on the side of the secondary mirror housing..... YES Removing this screw will allow you to remove the secondary mirror housing for easy cleaning. Just remember to mark the position in reference the corrector plate, top collimation screw is your reference point.

hope this helps

Howard County Astronomical League  

Telescope repairs and Upgrades

Meade LX200 GPS 10" F10

Meade Series 5000 80MM APO triplet F6

Meade Model 320 80MM F11

Cloudy Nights

Meademods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users