Photo

Can I observe the sun with a regular telescope using filters?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zeus

Zeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hello,

Is it possible to observe the sun using some sort of filter? I do not own a fancy telescope but I would like to "unlock" all of its possibilities and I've always find solar observation to be fascinating.  

Thank you,

Zeus

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

Yes, there are filters that work for that. They go over the objective on the front end of the scope. Meade has had a policy of not promoting filters that attach to a regular scope. If one happens to come off while you are viewing, wherever The Sun's image on your retina will be a permanently burned hole. You will be blind in that spot.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Zeus

Zeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

Yes, there are filters that work for that. They go over the objective on the front end of the scope. Meade has had a policy of not promoting filters that attach to a regular scope. If one happens to come off while you are viewing, wherever The Sun's image on your retina will be a permanently burned hole. You will be blind in that spot.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Thank you Bill,

In such case I'll rethink this option.

Regards,

Zeus

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

Most people use baader solar film which does work well.But you have to take precautions to make sure everything is secure on the main scope and finder scope.One boo boo and you have no eyes left.Many people have used the baader film with great success.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Zeus

Zeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

I'm probably not going to, the chance of loosing my vision is not one I'm going to take.

Perhaps one day I can afford a coronado.

#6 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

There are many safe solar filters out there for a given telescope diameter, and are safe if used properly.

You must always remember to keep your finder scope covered (or get a filter for it too).

To locate sun with a proper solar filter, and no finder scope, simply point the scope in the general direction of the sun, and then watch the shadow of the scope on the ground in back of you. use the hand paddle to move the scope until the shadow of the scope becomes a circle -- then you should be right on it.

LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#7 Zeus

Zeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:51 AM

There are many safe solar filters out there for a given telescope diameter, and are safe if used properly.

You must always remember to keep your finder scope covered (or get a filter for it too).

To locate sun with a proper solar filter, and no finder scope, simply point the scope in the general direction of the sun, and then watch the shadow of the scope on the ground in back of you. use the hand paddle to move the scope until the shadow of the scope becomes a circle -- then you should be right on it.

Thank you, I'm still thinking what to do what I think I wont do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users