Photo

Has anyone piggybacked a refractor on their LX600 yet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

I'm looking at several APO's trying to determine which will meet my AP requirements and not add too much weight.  I was wondering if anyone had did this yet and what type of equipment, mounts, etc., they decided to go with.  I intend to use a Moonlight focuser just like the one I use on the LX600 for remote operation and was thinking if the mount was a full length OTA vixen bar that I could balance with correctly it might work properly.  Thanks

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Looking at the layout you may be able remove the finder scope and add the vixen style mount and use a williams optics 71 ed on it.The mount should handle it with no issues.Also balancing should be no issues.It may be a tad tight but like I said looking at the scope the way it is set up i m leaning to it will work for you.THats the only disadvantage ive seen on the LX 600 is the star lock scope right on the top giving you very little wiggle room for piggybacking a small refracter.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

Thanks,  I was measuring and investigating today and it's 14" from a single bolt on one end to the other.  I was thinking just that.  Remove the finder, mount a vixen style rail and the scope to that.  Where'd I lay that wallet now?  LOL

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

YesAstronomy can be a tad bit expensive.I dont even want to add up with I have here in 3 meade scopes  2 explore scientific scopes 3 Imagers filter wheel eyepieces and accessorys. 5000 lx200 1500 ls8 1000 lxd 6 inch  1200 filter wheel.3500 sx imager.1200 DSI pro 3  3 dsi por 1s at 500 each  filters rgb dark HA SII and OII about 150 each way to may eyepieces.Dew heaters finders pier Obs PC too run it all.Yes i guess im a bit up there in price.and 80 percent of my things herer are Meade.  didnt realize that much invested over the years.I should have stock in meade my now   lol

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

You sound exactly like me.  Your list makes me think you peaked in my cases..LOL.  It's a great past time.  I actually waited too long to get into it but am glad I took the plunge.  Fortunately wife is very understanding.  I am going to go ahead and get the ES 102mm and have already contacted Moonlight regarding a motorized focuser like the one I have on the LX600 and will contact ADM tomorrow for mounting parts.  It's only money anyhow..:)

• Mark Sibole likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users