Photo

Weight of the Meade 2'' star diagonal 5000 series ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FLORIN

FLORIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

Hi everybody,

I have ordered a Meade 2'' star diagonal 5000 series for my LS6 ACF but I stil wonder how heavy this accesory actually is. I have read several complaints about the fact that this is a "bulky" star diagonal but  I have found only one precise indication about the weight on the "Astronomics" web site - 1,3lb which is 589 grams. On the other hand the package I will receive soon is 1,4kg heavy which means 3lbs (I haven't ordered a Meade SCT 2'' adapter with my star diagonal). I am bit worry about the real weight of this star diagonal so I need a more precise information. Thank you for any information you cand provide to me on this matter.

Florin

#2 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

Florin

I just weighed mine and I got 699 kg this is diagonal + sct visual back adapter that comes with the diagonal. The diagonal by itself was just under 500 kg. Hope that helps.

#3 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

Florin... I'm curious if the LS6 visual back will be able to take advantage of 2" EPs? Do you know how large the opening is on the back of the OTA?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

Just FYI: I use have used up to the 30 mm UWA on my LS 8. Every thing on the back of the scope is standard for using 2 inch accessories.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#5 FLORIN

FLORIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hello Keith, Bill,

Keith, first of all thank you for your useful reply - as long as the star diagonal weights 500 grams I am not worried about the balance of my 6'' OTA. Bill is absolutely right - I have already used with my LS6  a 2'' star diagonal connected through the Meade 2'' visual back adapter wich is excellent - not any 2'' visual back adapter fit with the LS6 (I have first received from my provider a 2'' Omegon visual back adapter wich was useless). So I have already used with my LS6 an 18 mm 82° ES eyepiece, a 28 mm 68° ES eyepiece and a TV 55 mm Plössl in search of greater field of view at  low power. 

All the best,

Florin

#6 MeadeGuy

MeadeGuy

• Administrators
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hi All, 

Just to weigh in and confirm the 2" eyepieces should work great with the LS and weight won't be a problem or require counterbalancing. The scope isn't that sensitive to balance and the motors have loads of torque. 

The LS wasn't even designed to take our counterweight set (no bolt mounting points) for that reason. All "normal" sorts of accessories including 2" eyepieces or even a DSLR will be fine without it. (I know explicitly not a scope we ever intended for astrophotography but I am routinely impressed as folks still do it!) 

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp. 

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

You should have NO issues with the visual back and the 2 inch diagonal.There is enough opening on the standard visual back as to not obstruct the 2 inch abd you should get no vignetting.If you find things a bit out of balance you can add some weight on the front of the scope to balance it out.A lot of folks have used the heavier aluminum dew shield as the counter weight but you can add weight to the front easily using several different methods.A 2 pound ankle weight works well when you extent the velcro strap to fit thie diameter of the scope being used.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#8 FLORIN

FLORIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

John, Mark, thank you for your replies and advices concerning the 2'' star diagonal. I have received several days ago the Meade 2'' series 5000 star diagonal and it weights around 460 g (a bit under 1,1 lbs) which is lighter than my previous 2'' Kepler dielectric diagonal (530 g). Adding to this my 2'' visual back adapter (160 g) I have a total 620 g wheight which is OK for the LS6 and you can connect rather heavy 2'' eyepieces like those I now own : TV Plössl 55 mm (512 g) or ES 28 mm 68° (460g) BUT you better install in the same time your aluminium dew shield in order to properly balance the optical tube (I am thankfull to Mark Sibole for this idea). Once the aluminium dew shield installed I presume that even heavier eyepieces can be used with the 2'' star diagonal+the 2'' visual back adapter. The maximum total weight I have connected to the back of my LS6 is 1,2 kg - but only with the dew shield installed for counterbalancing.

Florin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users