• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldjimbo

oldjimbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

The equatorial mount that I got for my model 4500 is not in very good condition.  The declination axis has a lot of play in it and I'm not sure if the shaft bolts are tightened correctly.  Also, do I need to clean the old grease and replace the washers from the polar axis and the declination axis?  Is there a manual for reconditioning my equatorial mount? 

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

There is not a manual on reconditioning your mount that I know about. Most likely, the thick grease used to lubricate internal parts has gone away over time, plus there may be some wear. There also may be some set screw that has backed off of a shaft a bit.

I have not had an equatorial mount apart, but my best guess is that you will need to take it apart yourself and assess the situation. With older scopes, whose history is not known, just about any situation is possible.

If you do not have an instruction manual for the scope, let me know and I will see if I can search around and find one.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 MeadeGuy

MeadeGuy

• Administrators
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

Bill is correct, there is no "shop manual" for tuning it up (at least none Meade ever produced) but the bolts that are adjustable should all be fairly obvious. I believe at least one might require a specialized deep socket tool to reach however; I am thinking of the RA axis. 

White lithium seems to work well for almost everything as a replacement grease. I have heard many people swear by it. 

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users