#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

In the equipment section..No problems with the scope..Only a very small ding in one of the tripod legs..Hardly noticeable..

I updated the Audiostar via Meades ASU and it updated no problem what so ever..Took about 10 minutes..The scope as far as I can tell, works flawless..Optics are clean, smooth focus, GPS connected even indoors close to a window..Can't wait for first light!! So far, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I'm glad I went with Meade..

• RickScofield likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Looks like the real deal! I think it is good to have the pictures of what one looks like as you unpacked it. It gives other people an idea of what to expect.

I think you will have a lot of good times with that scope!

Have fun!

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Looks great and I agree with Bill, your in for some very good times.
Good Luck and Enjoy.
RickScofield

#4 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

Thanks..I think I will be ordering a counterweight kit..With my largest (38mm) 2" eyepiece with an Astrozap plastic dew shield, its a little back heavy..If I use my 2" barlow its really outta balance...I don't know whether to go with the ADM MD series or the Meade counterweight system..Does anyone have experience with these?

#5 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Forgot to mention two things I had to do..It's been mentioned on the forums, but on the tripod, I did have to add an extra nut to the rod at the tightening handle..It bottomed out before it was actually tight so I adjusted it but after that the acorn nut couldn't lock the handle down..

Upon closer inspection after it was tight, I could see light between the top tripod plate and the bottom of the mount, on one side..I suspected the top plate was not level all the way across so I cut a 7 1/2" round piece of cork gasket material and put it between the plate and bottom of the mount..Now I don't have to tighten the spreader as much to get a solid, secure fit and no light is visible at all between the top plate and mount....I suspect this would have caused a lot of vibration to the mount, so some of you might want to take a look at yours also..

I also plan on cutting myself a clutch disk for the DEC axis if I have any slippage..So far, it holds it just fine..And I tighten it just enough to hold it.. ;D..To a "firm feel" as the manual says..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users