Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hi Bill,
thanks for the info. My telescope I have now sent for review to the former Meade Europe representation here in Germany. I expect an answer next week the technician.
Unfortunately a great pity that Meade Instruments in Europe, has no presence. Too bad, I also think this is not representative of Meade Instruments active in the wonderful Forum Meade 4M to offer assistance.
I would be very interested in how the "Factory Calibrate" comes to there perhaps even to calibrate anything.
I am waiting for your exploration.
Best regards from Germany
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#22 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

Hi Bill,
have on another forum found a very informative Talkshow where I think that that is exactly my problem.
I would be happy if they would read again and tell me your opinion.
There must be a code to the default settings in the Setup menu to change, only how to get the code and what must one do ??
Here is the link:

http://www.cloudynig...ls-north-align/

Best Regards
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#23 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

That could very well be what you are having trouble with. It sounds like I need to get my LS 8 out of storage and watch it go through its motions. It will be more than a week before I can do that.

You might run your scope through its paces and watch where it goes for magnetic North and then see if it slews toward Polaris or misses.

It would be nice to have the ability to have the scope stop at that point and ask you if it is pointing in the direction of Polaris and let you make an adjustment if needed.

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#24 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:16 AM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the message. My Telescop is to review and I can only check in a week or two:
1. Whether the test at once Meade Europe has changed something and
2. if not, then I will deal with the Factory Calibrate.
I will report back.

greeting
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#25 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Wolfgang,

I emailed John Piper received word from him that there is a function in the LS called "Calibrate Magnetic Sensor." I have not looked up its location yet. It is supposed to let you adjust for magnetic errors from things at your site. Once done, the change is permanent for that site. If you take your scope to a different site, the GPS system will know this and not use the adjustments made, but go back and use the original settings for the new site.

When I get my LS out of storage, I will check out that feature.

Bill

#26 tarbat

tarbat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:14 AM

Recalibrate the north sensor as follows:
1. Whilst powering up the scope, press the 9 button when the first message appears on handbox.
2. When it asks for the "access code", enter 752.
In the setup menu, there are then extra calibration options, one of which lets you recalibrate the north sensor, and another the level sensor.

The process I've used to calibrate north is:
1. Make sure the scope is perfectly level and setup as perfectly as you can.
2. Calibrate the North Sensor, but just accept the default setting - ie just press enter without moving the scope.
3. Do a manual 2 star alignment, and note how far away from the first star the scope is. For example, if it's to the right of the star by 18 degrees, note that. You can easily estimate how far it is out from a star chart.
4. Calibrate the North Sensor, and adjust by the amount the scope was off in step 3. So in this case, adjust the scope 18 degrees to the left, using a compass to measure this.
5. Re-do the 2 star alignment, and the first star should be almost perfectly aligned first time.
6. Shut down and power off cleanly.

16740596615_4ce03f2eaf_m_d.jpg-16553042798_7f23a54219_m_d.jpg-16739528442_87cbb71884_m_d.jpg

Is there any documentation on what all the other Factory Calibration functions do? I imagine some of them could seriously mess up the telescope!!

#27 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:19 AM

Hi Tarbat,
Thank you for the exact procedure for calibrating the North sensor.
If the telescope is with me, I'll try it and then report. Maybe I need some help again, but then I will get back to you.
many greetings
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#28 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Thanks, tarbat, and welcome to the forum!

Bill Steen

#29 tarbat

tarbat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

My LS6 has now been transformed from a telescope that would never auto-align, to one which auto-aligns first time, every time, even before the sky is completely dark. Simply by:
1. Calibrating the North Sensor, which was about 38 degrees out at my location.
2. Calibrating the Level Sensor, which was about 3 degrees out.
3. Adjusting the focus of the ECLIPS camera, which was about 3/8 of a turn out of focus.

It's gone from being a telescope which was so frustrating to setup, to one that is a joy to setup. Now, the first alignment star is always within 1-2 degrees of the initial slew, and it takes just a few minutes to complete the alignment.

#30 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hi Tarbat,
I still have my telescope not return. When I use the telescope with me have, I will test all this and report me if I do not get along.
Thank you for the tips.
greeting
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#31 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi, I'm back again,
Hi Tarbat, Bill and Mark,
got today returned my Telescopes Meade Europe. It was a warranty replacement done and I have a new LS6:-))))) !!
I was happy and immediately everything was set up, because today is the clear sky.
Even when Autoaligntment I was skeptical because the first star (Rigel) was not met, but eclipskamera has been activated and Rigel was visible in the 40mm eyepiece, not in the center, but it's better than a couple of weeks. Second Star approached (Capella) and brought back nearly to the center with eclipskamera, better than Rigel. Telescopic reports "Good Aligntment".
Now I have moved to Polaris, not driven into the center, but visible in the 40mm eyepiece.
I do not know what to think: - ((Although it is all much better than a few weeks, but still not 100%!.
I once made three images with the information.
Figure 1 is the info about Polaris from the database.
Figure 2 is the Scope Info by Autoaligntment.
Figure 3 is the Scope info after correction (Polaris the center of the 40mm eyepiece)
Hello Tarbat, what should i do now ????
The factory calibration with their help I have now in setup. Tomorrow we have in Germany a partial eclipse tomorrow morning and I will establish my telescope and try to take some beautiful pictures.

Until tomorrow and best regards from Germany
Wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails

• Bild 1 1600x1200.jpg
  • Bild 2 1600x1200.jpg
  • Bild 3 1600x1200.jpg

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#32 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

I forgot what it is called, but there is a function in the scope where you can calibrate the eclipse camera. I need to look in the manual and see where it is.

In that function, as I remember it, you tell the scope to go to a star, it goes there and centers the star as it understands where the star is. Then, you center the star visually in your field with arrow keys, when you get the star centered, you press whatever button you are supposed to and the scope relearns the relationship between the camera and the optical tube.

Bill

#33 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:38 AM

Hi there,
observed on the day of the eclipse yesterday, very beautiful. Telescope has the Terrestical mode executed clean. Wonderful! I noticed today that is with micro focuser Meade found another magnetic north. See pictures! Can anyone confirm the LS users?
Will report how the new telescope behaves in the night.
Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05330.JPG
  • DSC05331.JPG
  • eclipse of the sun.JPG
  • Sun covered with 76% of the Moon.jpg
  • Telescope in the balance-1.JPG
  • Telescope in the balance-2.JPG

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#34 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes if you add the microfocuser, or whatever other metal/electric thing to the scope it will change the way it points to the magnetic north.

I use my LS6" for long Exposure AP (up to 900sec) and to be able to do this I have added lots of items to the scope, such as electric dew heaters guiding setup etc, etc.

Here you can see it full set up, the metallic dew shield also act also as a balancing device:

P9137109.JPG P9137110.JPG

To correct the magnetic difference problem while aligning to the north, I just used a little magnet placed inside the scope handle to calibrate the compass, like is usually done for ships compasses. you can see in this pic below  (the small yellow fish)

PA187123.JPG

The alignments are always spot on now  ^-^

have a nice weekend !

PS: very nice sun eclipse shot you made! here I just could see the clouds.. 

Clear Skies

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift, Optec Pyxis LE De-rotator TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

Camera Olympus ZX1, EOS 1100D ZWO ASI 120MC

#35 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi Marco,

It amazes me how many things you can manage to stack on your LS 6! You definitely have a talent there! (smile)

Wolfgang,

I am really happy your new LS 6 seems to be working for you!

Best Regards,

Bill

#36 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hi Marco,
Thank you for your tip. I only worry, we adjusted the small magnet the electronic compass sensor and then nothing works. That with the completely north I have not yet understood. Should I get the telescope to magnetic north or geographic north (Polaris) Align and then attach the magnet? and then what next? And to the micro focuser be already installed? I've got no real understanding of how to do so with attached Micro Focuser the telescope finds the correct magnetic North >:(

PS: A great equipment they have on the LS6, did not think something like that is possible. :)

Maybe they can help me further and I would be very grateful.

Hi Bill,
Just reading your entry. Yes the day my new LS6 works well and once at night quite well, but still with small inaccuracies. When is again clear sky, I will try again and report here.

Many greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#37 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:31 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

The compass of the LS points to the magnetic North, then the scope calculate the local deviation to the geographic north based on the location data received from the GPS.

To compensate for the magnetic deviation with a magnet, it is not so difficult.

First you set up the scope like you are going to use it, attach the microfocuser, the camera and all the thing you want to use.

Then you must find out the magnetic deviation at your location, you can read it on a map, or you can calculate it here:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/

Then you will need a clear skies night (difficult to come by lately)

Start up the scope (you can use the demo mode or just let it align, it does not matter) once ready point the scope to Polaris, and center it perfectly in the view finder of your Camera you can better use the live view at x5 or x10.

Once done mark on the ground (or on a building) the direction to where is pointing.

Subtract or add the magnetic deviation from that direction, and mark it. That mark will be where your magnetic north is.

Now (you do this in daylight) start up the scope and see in which direction it points.

Put the little magnet somewhere on the handle of vertical arm of the scope and restart the scope.

Check if the scope is now pointing closer or further away from your marked magnetic north line.

Move the position of the little magnet a little bit and restart again check again the direction that the scope is pointing is closer or not.

Repeat the above until the scope by startup will align correctly to your marked magnetic north.

Of course the way to calibrate the north sensor as explained by Tarbat above will it also work, but if do not feel confident to change the factory settings you can use the little magnet.

Clear Skies

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift, Optec Pyxis LE De-rotator TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

#38 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:53 AM

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the detailed description. Now I have my deviation to the magnetic north determined (2 ° 4` E) see Fig.
Does this mean that I have to correct from the Magnetic North (yellow text) to the east by 2 ° 4` E ??
If yes, please confirm. Maybe I leave something stupid, but I have a new telescope and want nothing worse.
I need to test it again when Polaris is visible.
First of all thanks for the support.
Wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails

• New picture.JPG
  • Declination.jpg

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#39 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

Hi Wolfgang, 

you welcome!

No, you do not have to correct 2°4' to the east the magnetic north represented by your yellow line/text.

You have to correct, 2°4' to the east of the geographic north. (the line that you marked with the scope pointed at Polaris)

When the scope has finished the "finding north routine" it must point 2°4' to the east of the line you made to mark the direction of Polaris (geographic north). 

If you do the calibrating operation in day time after each scope startup, the scope it will stop where it 'feels' the magnetic north is (and tell you that it is too bright to see stars).

just repeat the adjustment of the position of the little magnet until the scope will stop in the correct direction 2°4' to the east of the geographic north  :)

more info regarding magnetic deviation you can find here:

http://en.wikipedia....tic_declination

Clear Skies

Marco

#40 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi Marco,
Thanks for the information. I think I got it this time.
To summarize:
1. For a clearer sky Polaris approach.
2. then correct 2 ° 4` to the east.
3. this is my magnetic north, OK?
4. a mark set in the garden where my magnetic north.
5. Next day, turn the telescope and can find magnetic north.
6. Replace the solenoid on the telescope and move until the start of the telescope it on my point marked in the garden, better on the real magnetic north, shows. OK?
7. If at startup "Find North" the telescope always moves to magnetic north, then it should be OK. Yes?

Perhaps you could Tarbat again report its version with the "Factory Calibration" to explain again. Because I do not know if I apply the version of Tarbat what I have to confirm the Handbox when I called in Setup "Factory Calibration" >>> "North sensor". Thank you Tarbat.

Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users